• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
If this is anything like a PUK code you might as well replace your SIM.

Every time I've gotten that the carrier treated me like someone doing something illegal and outright refused to provide it, or pretended they never heard of such a thing. The last time was in 2015, I was trying to re-activate an LG Optimus Net to have an Android 2.3 phone again (was my favorite version--still is) and it asked me for the 'subsidy code' which the carrier rep got overtly hostile, accused me of breaking ToS and hung up. I tried calling multiple times ending with the same problem. The solution for me was to use logcat viewer and find the subsidy code that way and it worked then.

Upvote 0
I'm glad that my provider isn't as crappy as that! I don't have to ask them much, and it must be more than a decade since I last asked for a PUK code, but I've never had any problems with them (they're not all equally good at working out solutions, but I've never suffered rudeness or someone who didn't at least try).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Smartphones don't just get randomly locked, there's usually a reason to force that action.
-- If this is a phone you just bought as a pre-owned discount, hopefully you can return it with a refund or replacement that isn't encumbered.
-- If it's a phone you just 'found' somewhere, than obviously there's a backstory to it.
-- If it is your property, you need to pay off the previous unpaid billing that triggered the lock to begin with.

But as @ocnbrze referred to, this isn't something that you're going to be bypass on an online help forum site, it's a fundamental issue with a carrier and Samsung. Otherwise, you'll need to pay someone to 'hack' this phone for you, or use it as just a WiFi only phone.

Upvote 0
Usually a phone only gets locked for a few reasons (assuming this is like a PUK or PIN2 lock)

1. Inserting the wrong SIM for the phone (wrong carrier, aka, a Verizon SIM into an AT&T phone)

2. Attempting to bring a prepaid handset to post-paid (most in-box prepaid phones sell super cheap but depend on being activated for a month or so on the prepaid plan to pay off the subsidized cost before they'll accept a post-paid SIM)

3. Using a feature phone from who knows when, locked to Tracfone (which runs proprietary software such as their 'airtime balance display') on a non-Tracfone carrier such as AT&T.

4. Entering the SIM PIN incorrectly 3-5 times. (usually this happens because user goes to security, sees 'SIM LOCK' and hopes it's more secure than the factory screen lock, and doesn't know the original SIM PIN which it will ask for)

5. Attempting to use a 'found' phone on your own SIM, which forces remote lockout (but that usually only happens at the Google account side, and it's called 'factory reset protection' and obviously doesn't involve such a hardware lock)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones