• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honor locked to asian language?

thegravyman

Lurker
Oct 21, 2016
Hey guys,
Just got the Honor 5x from eBay and i got it delivered to my home in Australia.

I open it up and the first thing i see is the setup menu(s) and its all in an Asian language (cannot identify)
I have a look around the phones settings and I'm looking for a way to change it ALL to English, but i could not.The strange thing is the keyboard is in English and I can type English words, but the page/apps are all in the unidentified language. I also looked everywhere online and i couldn't find anything...

The things i need fixed:
(main priority) Apps language set to an unidentified Asian language

also:

-No google play store app
-No standard android apps
-Weird Huawei apps that are also in the unidentifed language, along with some weird Huawei ID crap that i didnt sign up for.

Could you please provide a fix for this or give me a way to COMPLETELY WIPE EVERYTHING and get a newer/different version of android on my phone.

P.S before you asked i already factory reset the phone the in-settings way and the 'hard reset' way.

thanks

If there's no Google apps, like Play Store, etc, that means the Asian language is Chinese, as this version is meant for sale and use in China only, where Google is banned, and so they have all their own apps, like the "weird Huawei apps".

To put it into English, go into settings and look for, 语言及输入法 (Language and input method), select it and then look for, 中文 (Chinese), you should then see English from the list. However some of the built-in features and apps might be Chinese only, like the stock music player. Also you might find things happening with contacts information. I used a Chinese version phone in the United Kingdom, and it was insisting my dad's (0771....) UK mobile number was in Nanning, Guangxi Province.

As for installing Google Apps and Services onto this device, it will involved flashing a suitable international firmware for it, if that's possible.
There's some Honor 5X ROMs and information here, http://www.needrom.com/category/huawei/honor-5x/
But I do NOT know if these will be suitable for a mainland PRC version of this phone. If they're not, could end-up bricking it completely.

Any possibilities of returning it to the Ebay vendor for a refund?

Last edited:
Reactions: codesplice and lvt
Upvote 0
I'm having exactly the same problem as thegravyman. Purchased from ebay in Australia and can't install any Google apps.
Anyone know how to fix this? Or whether a refund is likely from ebay?
If the seller accepts return, you might want to return and buy another device.

Otherwise you should try to install Playstore directly from APK.

Another way is to root your device and use other ROM.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones