• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I know if my TV can receive from Maxx?

Actually, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to use cloud based video services such as Netflix and Amazon then I recommend using Chromcast. Your phone controls Chromcast and so it does not render video. This saves battery time.

If you want to view video you just shot that is on your phone or you just want to display anything that is just on your phone then you want Miracast. However, your phone is running all operations and I think the display is on also. So your battery will drain fast. Best to charge while doing this.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. I think I just want to mirror the phone.

So it looks like the three TVs in the condo we are renting probably don't have Miracast. We did buy a Samsung Series 4 Plasma TV that is in storage right now until we buy a house. I was hoping that being newer, it might have Miracast capabilities, but looking through the manual (which I have in Evernote) it does not seem like it has Miracast either. If anyone else has any suggestions on where to look for Samsung TVs and Miracast, let me know.

Upvote 0
If you want this type of function built into a TV... you need to look at the Smart TV's and then see which features they support because each brand has their own feature set... there isn't a standard per se.

Personally, I don't think getting a Smart TV is all that smart... they are restricted to just the features that company chose to support, they are often not very upgradeable so if something else new or better, you may or may not get support for that feature... and they are more costly that adding another device onto the TV through a HDMI port.

I believe one of the best options is getting a quality Android Media PC which basically turns your TV into a mini-pc. The only downside is having to wade through the different ones that are available in order to find a good one.

If you can wait for it... do so. Currently there are new CPU's just now coming out into the market place and if you can wait... it will be well worth your while. If you can't wait... look into getting either the Minix Neo x7 or the x7 mini... they are high quality devices which have a number of custom ROM's available.

If you are waiting as I suggest... watch for the various AMLogic quad core processors in them which are just now coming out. Minix will be releasing two such in about May. These will be worth waiting for but you should wait so the issues that all new products will have... will have time to be worked out. Amazon has also released a new one called FireTV which is starting to get decent reviews as well.

I already have a Minix Neo x7... my MAXX connected to it without issue ( using the Miracast protocol ) and I was able to play a quick game of solitaire. Using miracast, there is a bit of a delay/lag but overall it was pretty smooth... of course not as smooth as just playing sol ( a movie or whatever ) directly on the Neo x7... I usually just copy whatever I want that is on my MAXX directly to either my Neo x7 or my PC instead of mirroring the screen on the MAXX ... it's more efficient that way and doesn't drain the battery as much.

On my Neo... I've turned it into a full media PC. I've attached an external hard drive to it and have copied all of my music and movies over to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones