• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Do I Move Files to Folder on Home Screen

I have created a new folder on a home screen yet I cannot find a way of adding any files to it. It seems a complete mystery how it's done - not very intuitive at all. Can anyone help?

I first create a folder in the sdcard0 (or sometimes the external sd card) main folder, then add the contents I want in there, then long press the new folder which brings up a menu that includes "move." Then it's just a matter of backing out and selecting the area where the new folder is needed.

Upvote 0
To clarify, are you trying to create a folder with shortcuts to apps in it or do you want to create a folder with data files such as pictures or documents in it?

BigRedGonzo

I want to put excel files in the folder. I still cant find a way of doing this. I can create a folder in sdcard0 and put them in it but I cannot move it or link it on the desktop/home screen. This means every time I want to access one of my excel files I have to go to apps > My Files > All Files > sdcard0 > Folder I Want To Access

Upvote 0
I want to put excel files in the folder. I still cant find a way of doing this. I can create a folder in sdcard0 and put them in it but I cannot move it or link it on the desktop/home screen. This means every time I want to access one of my excel files I have to go to apps > My Files > All Files > sdcard0 > Folder I Want To Access

I think I understand what you want to do, but tell me if I have it correct.

What you're trying to do is create a shortcut on one of your homescreens with a folder that will open up directly to where you've stored your excel spreadsheets, correct? In essence, similar to what one would do on a PC, where they create a folder shortcut on their desktop and when opened up, it is linked directly to that folder and shows all the files contained in that specific folder?

Hopefully, I'm understanding your question correctly. I switched to Touchwiz, just to see if a "shortcut" can be created and it doesn't to be an option on the Touchwiz UI. I use NOVA Launcher for my UI, which does give me the option to create a shortcut as you're requesting.

Since it sounds like you'd rather stick with the TouchWiz UI, I'm sure there is an app out there that makes doing that quite simple. Unfortunately, I can't think of one off the top of my head. I was going to recommend Smart Shortcuts, which I used to use on my older Android phones, but I am not quite sure how to set up the shortcut for a direct folder.

Reactions: mccririck
Upvote 0
Yes drexappeal that is exactly what I want to do. It is a work phone though and we cannot install apps ourselves, I will have to ask if they can install an app that will enable this.

I have to apologize in advance. The entire time, I completely forgot about an app that I use on my Note 8.0, for this purpose. I don't really need it on my Note 2, since I usually have my Note 8.0 with me, when I got into meetings.

But...that said, I can't see why your work wouldn't let you download this app. It's a simple File Explorer Widget app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ceenic.filebrowserwidget

Basically, once you've installed that app, you can set a widget on any of your home pages and toggle through all your internal or external storage.

If you want it to stay on one particular folder, just set the widget to stay on the exact folder that the excel files are stored and you can just open the files through the widget.

You can use multiple widgets, to show specific folders to access files. The GREAT thing about this particular widget is that it's scrollable. Once you have it set on your homescreen, you can scroll up and down within each folder, if there are multiple files that go beyond what is displayed. It's also customizable.

Upvote 0
Yes drexappeal that is exactly what I want to do. It is a work phone though and we cannot install apps ourselves, I will have to ask if they can install an app that will enable this.

Hi mccririck,

If you have dropbox preinstalled, you can set up a shortcut to the dropbox folder that will contain the files you want. The only drawback is that you will require a data connection anytime you need to access these files and the amount of time required to download said file to view.

And some third party file explorers will come with a widget (like X-Plore) so no need to use and install other widgets. X-Plore (which I installed and use daily) allows me to do what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Did you try the File explorer app that I posted? Should work just fine, for what you were asking for. Great thing is, you can interact with that widget through your entire directory, without ever having to go into your apps drawer.
Based on mccririck's reply, probably using X-Plore.

X-Plore doesn't take any space on home screen. Just simple 1x1 and can be used to shortcut straight into the app at the directory you want. Or if someone has the time and patience to customize it, can set multiple file shortcuts that you then place into a folder. So this will act like Windows desktop, folders and files. Clicking on the file shortcuts will open the file in their respective program. The closest thing you can get to emulating a Windows desktop environment.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone coming across this like I did, there is a new solution.
I don't think it was in android Lollipop, but maybe Marshmallow and definitely from Nougat on up ....To add Data documents to the Home screen, or folder on the home screen you do the following ......
1. In a file browser (just about any) locate the document or file
2. Long press the fie to select it. A check mark should show next to it if it is selected.
3. Pres the 3 dots, usually in the upper right corner.
4. Press, "Create Shortcut" or "Add Shortcut" or something worded like that but my depend on the file browser app in question.
5. Pressing "Create Shortcut" may show a pop up bubble stating that a shortcut has been created on the 'home screen' or 'Launcher'. Sometimes other ones, perhaps ones that say "Add Shortcut" may ask you where you want to put the shortcut via a drop-down menu that shows either, 'My Files' and/or 'Home Screen' just choose the 'Home Screen' or 'Launcher' option.
6. Once shortcut is on the home screen you can love this shortcut, which is really only a link to your file or document, to any created folder.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones