• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you delete a phone number of a contact? SOLVED!

BobPaul

Aug 2, 2010
Why is this not "obvious"?

Can it even be done?

Can you modify a contacts tele number?

Geez, I must be one really stupid MF as I can't find a way to do any of the above.

Edited to add: Ok, Ok, I am one stupid MF, you have to edit the contact. Seems to me that android has taken a step backward in that you don't directly manipulate things like contacts. You have to go into an edit mode.
I am sure others will lambaste me over this but I think this is old fashioned.

Edited again: OK, I press the minus sign to the right of the tel number I wish to delete, a little trash can appears, I press save and viola! NOTHING HAPPENS, the number is still there associated with my contact.

Edited yet again: OK, you first must delete all the text of a tele number then it will be deleted. Geez, you'd think that this, being a primary function of a phone, would have been looked at by a usability group. I am starting to think that androids make great little bitty computers but not very great phones. Primary purpose
has taken a backseat to all the extra crap.

I am trying to do exactly this- delete a PHONE NUMBER from a contact. My contact moved and has new information. I hit the Minus button and the number disappeared from the Edit screen but NOT the contact. The numbers I want to delete are STILL THERE. When I go back to Edit now they don't show up- so I have no idea how to even edit them to 'delete the numbers' before hitting the minus key. How do I do this?

and I AGREE- Android really needs some better user testing before releasing this stuff. It should not be this hard to delete a phone number from a contact!

The only thing I can think of is to delete the contact and reenter my contact with the correct info- but seriously, Android, that is stupid.
Jo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones