• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you spend your new years?

I'm squarely in the "eh, it's just another night" camp, and don't usually do anything, but I think I'll have some noodles at midnight like Shinji says I should. :) (Udon OK?)

I just learned a new bit of info this new years.
Apparently Kagawa Prefecture (famous for udon) is promoting "New Years Udon" as something to pair up with "End of Year Soba".

Hasn't wuite caught on yet, but maybe in half a decade it will become the new norm...

+1 :) One of these days, I'll quit my job and spend a few years in Japan teaching English.

Great idea :)
It's amazing how much demand there is for English teachers right now.
I think it's because people are afraid to loose their jobs and feel that being able to speak English would give them a competitive edge.

These days, thanks to the internet, you don't have to sign up to a English school to find pupils.
However, if you're a girl, you have to learn from the "Lindsey-san murders", and not follow weird Japanese guys home even if they insist that they left their wallet at home and would like you to come with them so that you can be paid.
Better to stay alive than waste on hour on free English lessons.

Upvote 0
I normally have a big party at home with friends and family but this year I celebrated it up in Durham with my boyfriend. We were originally supposed to meet his friends but by the time it got to about 11pm we both decided it was far too much effort to walk the half hour to the pub they were at when we already had a nice cosy spot in a local cocktail bar. Then at midnight we went up to the green in front of Durham Cathedral to hear the bells ring out for midnight, had a kiss and a cuddle and went back to another pub before heading home.

I never usually go out for NYE because I'm always worried everywhere will be jam packed, I won't get a seat and have to wait ages at the bar, but we managed to find a place that was relatively quiet so I took advantage and tried as many different cocktails as I could :)

Upvote 0
I never usually go out for NYE because I'm always worried everywhere will be jam packed, I won't get a seat and have to wait ages at the bar, but we managed to find a place that was relatively quiet so I took advantage and tried as many different cocktails as I could :)

Well, that s huge difference from Japan, beause everything closes down form the afternoon of the 30th. Offices are closed from the 28th too.
even public transportation becomes less.

If you end up outsideon the 30th and 31st, you are pretty much screwed. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones