• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How I rooted B&N 1.4.1 and got the Android Market to work

I think there are unpaid equivalents for both, but I can't vouch for how easy they are to use. There are some installable .zip versions of OTA blockers, but I think they can be a bit heavy-handed in their approach, and some don't seem to have worked recently. All I can say is that my NC has not auto-updated since I rooted it.

Thanks Bob. I think I will just suck it up and buy the app. Why take any chances right?

Upvote 0
The real trick is to follow the instructions exactly. That means a complete wipe back to 1.0.0. Re-register and update to 1.4.2 (MN 5.02.19 will work with this). Make sure you update all your B&N downloads such as books and apps or you will not be able to access them after root. Then follow the instructions for writing, installing and booting up the card......BTW, you can get the CWM, MN 5.02.19 and Dalagrin OC Kernel on one 2GB card.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494901

Upvote 0
The real trick is to follow the instructions exactly. That means a complete wipe back to 1.0.0. Re-register and update to 1.4.2 (MN 5.02.19 will work with this).
I had no problems going back to 1.3 stock and updating from there. I was also able to update from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 and reapply MN 5.02.19 with no apparent problems.

However, I have read that a few folks that re-applied Dalingrin's OC kernel are experiencing poor battery performance on 1.4.2, so YMMV. I haven't tried that yet.

Upvote 0
I had no problems going back to 1.3 stock and updating from there. I was also able to update from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 and reapply MN 5.02.19 with no apparent problems.

However, I have read that a few folks that re-applied Dalingrin's OC kernel are experiencing poor battery performance on 1.4.2, so YMMV. I haven't tried that yet.

You could be correct about the complete wipe. All I know is, the first time I downloaded the MN, I couldn't access the new Market...just got the old one and no apps would download. I went back and wiped to stock, reapplied the MN and everything worked!

I chose to download with the the option of apps2sd support so I used Dal's OC Kernel rather than the stock. I haven't noticed any decrease in battery life. In fact, the battery seems to be better than when I was running CM7.

BTW, I like the ManualNooter much better than CM7..

Upvote 0
You could be correct about the complete wipe. All I know is, the first time I downloaded the MN, I couldn't access the new Market...just got the old one and no apps would download. I went back and wiped to stock, reapplied the MN and everything worked!
That would be consistent with the procedure to wipe Market data then. If you happen to upgrade again without a wipe, try deleting market cache and the other steps in GMPOWER's thread. I did that and got the Market to start working again.
I chose to download with the the option of apps2sd support so I used Dal's OC Kernel rather than the stock. I haven't noticed any decrease in battery life. In fact, the battery seems to be better than when I was running CM7.
That's good news. I'm heading out for the airport soon, so don't want to break anything just yet, but I'll try reloading Dalingrin's kernel on 1.4.2 myself this week.

Reactions: dparrothead1
Upvote 0
Thank you for this thread. I was about to go crazy, was looking back and forth for a detail explanation on how to Root it... As soon as I rooted, I install a custom Rom to avoid any problems lol but didn't like how MIUI looked so I switched to CM7 and now am running CM9. I WAS curious leaving it like how it was when first rooted, do they have a ZEAM launcher? Will it be the same experience?

Upvote 0
i have a 1.4.2 NC here. Once I ran MN i couldn't get it to boot, it just stayed on the splash screen. I tried re-doing it couple times. So i followed steps to install cm7 (wipe system, cache but it wouldnt let me format data)

I boot into cm7, seems to have worked but i continue to get 'android.process.media' has stopped working pop-up

market wouldn't open, random other stuff FC's. every time i get that error message. i started from scratch at least once....

any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Unable to format /data usually indicates an old version of ClockworkMod. Be sure you're using 3.2 or later. Colchiro has a couple of posts on updating here that you should be able to search for.

Hopefully, that'll resolve your other issues.

That did the trick, thanks. Its been quite a while since i rooted my daughters I guess. Forgot all about that last step to upgrade to 3.2

Upvote 0
I recently restored back to 1.4.1 from CM7 and before I knew it I was at 1.4.3. I followed the instructions in the OP, but can't seem to get my Google Play installed apps to work on the B&N side. Ive clicked the check box in Nook Color Tools about 50 times, used the Nook Color App Manager to get my apps to show on the B&N side. They just won't work.

I've also copied the apk's to /system/app folder

Upvote 0
I recently restored back to 1.4.1 from CM7 and before I knew it I was at 1.4.3. I followed the instructions in the OP, but can't seem to get my Google Play installed apps to work on the B&N side. Ive clicked the check box in Nook Color Tools about 50 times, used the Nook Color App Manager to get my apps to show on the B&N side. They just won't work.

I've also copied the apk's to /system/app folder
If they're not showing up, read step 12 under Process. If they're showing up, but not working, do you get any error messages? Will they launch from Zeam or another launcher and just not the B&N interface?

I never had problems with anything that worked from a 3rd party launcher.

Upvote 0
If they're not showing up, read step 12 under Process. If they're showing up, but not working, do you get any error messages? Will they launch from Zeam or another launcher and just not the B&N interface?

I never had problems with anything that worked from a 3rd party launcher.
had the same problem with my wife's nc. market apps ran from zeam but not the b&n interface. finally just restored back to 1.4.2. flashed cwm to the rom, this seemed to stop updates on my nc.

Upvote 0
i cannot for the life of me figure this out

i'm using version 1.4.2

i download the files necessary to my hard drive

i'm connecting the nook color to my pc, with the sd card in it, once connected, i format the sd card so that there's nothing on it (i end up with 14.7gb free), i then flash the 8gb image with windiskimager (can't flash 16gb image since it's not allowed due to lack of available space???)

it "writes successfully"

i reboot the nook without doing anything else to the sd card and nothing happens, it just keeps booting back into the ol' BN image

what am i doing wrong :'(

Upvote 0
I just tried this, and it's not working. I was able to boot from the SD, and install Manual Nooter and the custom kernel, but it just boots into the B&N software like nothing's been done. I have NOOKcolor 1.4.3, used 1GB SD, MN5.08.20, Dalingrin OC kernel. I went through the instructions on XDA carefully, but did I miss something? Very confused!

EDIT: After installing MN and kernel, I removed the SD card...just watched a video and they did not remove the SD card. Is this the problem? I wanted to not have to keep the sd card in to use the root. After installing the mods, it does say to remove the sd card.

Upvote 0
Hi BG,

First of all, it's not a good idea to start flashing a kernel when you haven't achieved root. You're asking for trouble. I'd wait with that.

Rooted looks exactly like stock, except you should have a couple new apps, like superuser, and Play Store.

Sorry, I don't have a Nook here and if I did, it wouldn't be running the stock rom, so I won't be much help. Since this forum is pretty much a ghost town, I'm sorry to say your answer is probably on XDA where you found the rooting instructions. I bet if you don't mind reading, you'll find it there, o/w you might have to ask. I'd start reading the last 10 pages since some of the really old stuff has probably been fixed or changed.

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Hi BG,

First of all, it's not a good idea to start flashing a kernel when you haven't achieved root. You're asking for trouble. I'd wait with that.

Rooted looks exactly like stock, except you should have a couple new apps, like superuser, and Play Store.

Sorry, I don't have a Nook here and if I did, it wouldn't be running the stock rom, so I won't be much help. Since this forum is pretty much a ghost town, I'm sorry to say your answer is probably on XDA where you found the rooting instructions. I bet if you don't mind reading, you'll find it there, o/w you might have to ask. I'd start reading the last 10 pages since some of the really old stuff has probably been fixed or changed.

Flashing the kernel was a required part of the process. I know the interface looks similar, but there was absolutely nothing changed. Same boot animation, no additional apps, etc. There should've been a new boot animation according to video accompanying the instructions.

Anyway, I went full brute force on it and got Cyanogenmod 7.2 running. :) I tried running these instructions again, but still no changes. Also, I have no Play Store, although I got the Amazon Appstore installed and can install stuff from it. My primary purpose for this is to be able to load up my character sheets for gaming in Adobe Reader, and look stuff up during game, which I am able to do at this point, so mission accomplished there. I know the NOOKcolor isn't powerful enough for much...it's basically a big Galaxy Prevail, hardware wise, so this will suffice, although I would like to get some of the phone stuff off here and get it as slim as possible. Time to go forum digging I guess!

Thanks for talking the time to reply though! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones