• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Stop annoying microphone dictation feedback sounds

Dobe12

Lurker
Dec 29, 2019
Hi:

I have a Galaxy S10.

When voice Texting I tap on the microphone and there's one loud ding. If I hit the x to cancel the voice input it dings twice. It does this on all text apps on my phone.

These annoying feedback sounds also happens when I press the microphone to dictate in Gmail.

I've gone into each text app and turned off sound under Feedback. The only way to stop it is to turn media off ... but then I don't get any sound for for videos or music.

Under Settings, Sounds I went into System Sounds and turned off all system sounds

Interaction and Dexterity are all turned off

Key-tap feedback "Sound" are turned off

Nothing, except turning down the media volume, stops the feedback sounds.

Thankfully there's no annoying feedback when I press the google microphone symbol.

Does anyone know how to silence these annoying feedback sounds without turning the whole media volume off?

Thank you

Welcome to Android Forums, Dobe12!

I'm sorry no one's responded yet. That's likely because no one who read it had a solution. But hang in there! As others come along, someone may help. In the meantime...
When voice Texting I tap on the microphone and there's one loud ding. If I hit the x to cancel the voice input it dings twice. It does this on all text apps on my phone.
I'd recommend going through your System Settings with a fine-tooth comb, looking for anything even remotely related to sound. Check its Accessibility settings to see if there's anything set there that could account for this behavior.

You definitely should not have to shut off all media to get rid of this annoyance!

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I know this is an older post, but I thought I might take a WAG at it in case someone else can use the info to their benefit.

Maybe try using a headset, a headphone set with a microphone, to do your dictation?

It seems that it should stop your feedback issue altogether in a simple way.

Also, most (maybe all?) phones have separate volume setting for headsets and the built in speakers, along with bluetooth speakers or headsets.

This means that you can have separate volume settings for the media that you don't use the headset for, and you won't have to readjust the volume when you switch between them.

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess this might be a setting in your Keyboard app.

What keyboard are you using? Can you open the settings and see if it's specific to the keyboard you're using? Can you try installing an alternate Keyboard and see if you have the same problem?

Two options would be:
Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Hi:

Thanks for the responses.

I was using the Samsung Keyboard on my S-10 with "Google voice typing automatic, enabled". After reading Rob's post, I downloaded "Gboard" and set it as the default instead of Samsung. I went into phone settings and disabled Google Voice typing and then went into Gboard and enabled "Use voice typing". Unfortunately, I get the same annoying loud beep feedback sound when I press the microphone button.

I went into as many settings as I could find on phone and in keyboard apps and made sure that anything that would cause this annoying feedback was off. It happens no matter what keyboard I use so it must be something in the phone settings?

I can't believe I'm the only one who has this issue.:thinking:

Thanks for anymore suggestions!

Attachments

• Voice.PNG
    Voice.PNG
    96.6 KB · Views: 557
  • Voice1.PNG
    Voice1.PNG
    66.9 KB · Views: 455
  • voice2.PNG
    voice2.PNG
    96 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input. I don't have an "other sounds" or anything close to it on the S-10. I watched the video but don't have anything close to an assist and/or voice input selection under Apps.
Do people just put up with these clunking/thumping feedback sounds when using the voice to text microphone?

I don't get the feedback when using the microphone when doing a Google search but I do when using the microphone for Gmail text or for any texting app I use!
Very frustrating!
Thanks!

Reactions: unclefishbits
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input. I don't have an "other sounds" or anything close to it on the S-10. I watched the video but don't have anything close to an assist and/or voice input selection under Apps.
Do people just put up with these clunking/thumping feedback sounds when using the voice to text microphone?

I don't get the feedback when using the microphone when doing a Google search but I do when using the microphone for Gmail text or for any texting app I use!
Very frustrating!
Thanks!

If you are using your voice to initiate a search, then I believe I am correct when I say that this is your assist app.

This is just one of many things that an assist app can do.

So there must be some settings in your assist app somewhere, although because I do not have a Samsung device my methods are going to be different from yours.

It is things exactly like this that make me give the 'cold shoulder' to Samsung devices.

It is not that I am not willing to help, it is that Samsung insists upon making it so difficult to do so.

Perhaps in your settings, there is an actual Assistant option.

Maybe it is inside the Google option of your settings.

I guess it may (or not) help if you could make a very (very) slow screen recording of your Settings page, slowly scrolling through the options.
I could watch this video, and tell you what I would go into next.

Upvote 0

You are not the only one. I haven't signed into this site for over a decade, but my wife is about to kill me, and this has been going on for years. Especially when it's bedtime, and I am upstairs just doing quiet searches about a movie I am watching, etc... and DING DING DING DING. It's horrendous, and the notion I've spent this much time, over so many months and years, in disbelief that more people don't talk about this, and that there appears no answer.... it's so dumb. I'm right there with you tho. This is the worst aspect of modern tech's inconveniences... this single thing. Shocked no one else talks about it.

Upvote 0
I managed to get rid of this terrible ding sound on Gboard keyboard of my S10 phone. I think my method only works with Samsung devices because it uses "Sound Assistant" app by Samsung from their store, but the owners of other brands may at least see the direction in which to search.

I downloaded "Sound Assistant" app from Galaxy Store to correct the roughness of S10 volume adjustment - in that app you can make the volume slider marvelously smooth by altering the "Change step volume" value. And it was right there that i saw the option "Individual app volumes" in main menu. So i added Gboard and set its volume to zero. And that was it!

Upvote 0
Hi:

I have a Galaxy S10.

These annoying feedback sounds also happens when I press the microphone to dictate in Gmail.

I've gone into each text app and turned off sound under Feedback. The only way to stop it is to turn media off ... but then I don't get any sound for for videos or music.

Under Settings, Sounds I went into System Sounds and turned off all system sounds

Interaction and Dexterity are all turned off

Key-tap feedback "Sound" are turned off

Nothing, except turning down the media volume, stops the feedback sounds.

Thankfully there's no annoying feedback when I press the google microphone symbol.

Does anyone know how to silence these annoying feedback sounds without turning the whole media volume off?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Try this:

Settings - Google - settings for Google apps - search, assistant, and voice - Google Assistant - Accessibility

There i have two toggles for mic-open notification and mic-close notification. Turning those off solved this problem for me.

If those steps don't work, search in settings for Google Assistant and explore everything there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones