• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev

This is kind of a hypothetical question, since I'm new to root. When trying new roms, could I flash the rom and make a backup of the rom, and then have like a "library" of rom backups kept somewhere. So instead of re-flashing a rom, I could just recover from backup? I doubt it would work, just curious
yes you can do that, there is "backup/restore" option in the custom recovery :) each backup does take up A LOT of space, so you would want to save them to a PC. I usually only keep one or two backups on my phone.

Upvote 0
Okay so I tried flashing a ROM and I have a problem. I factory reset, wiped cache partition, and wiped dalvik, installed MIUI from zip but then it gives a status 7 "some symlinks failed" error. I'm not the only one that had this problem. It was fine that it didn't work, but then when I tried to restore a recovery (doing the same: factory rest, cache wipe, etc), I get md5sum error, does not match. I'm assuming that's because it is a different "kind" of ROM. I just don't really know what to try:mad::thinking:

Upvote 0
Okay so I tried flashing a ROM and I have a problem. I factory reset, wiped cache partition, and wiped dalvik, installed MIUI from zip but then it gives a status 7 "some symlinks failed" error. I'm not the only one that had this problem. It was fine that it didn't work, but then when I tried to restore a recovery (doing the same: factory rest, cache wipe, etc), I get md5sum error, does not match. I'm assuming that's because it is a different "kind" of ROM. I just don't really know what to try:mad::thinking:
sounds like you are trying to flash a rom that is not compatible with your current recovery....what version of MIUI are you trying to install(link please) and what is your recovery version?(you might want to try TWRP recovery)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
sounds like you are trying to flash a rom that is not compatible with your current recovery....what version of MIUI are you trying to install(link please) and what is your recovery version?(you might want to try TWRP recovery)

Here is the link for the actual download: http://roms.miui.us/inc/MIUI.us_inc_v4.1_2.11.9_Eng_Deo_ZipA_Signed_0xD34D.zip

MIUI.us UNITED WORLDWIDE - ROM Downloads That is the website I use and the version is 2.11.9

I have ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
How do I try TWRP and where can I download it? Thanks for the quick reply!

Upvote 0
Here is the link for the actual download: http://roms.miui.us/inc/MIUI.us_inc_v4.1_2.11.9_Eng_Deo_ZipA_Signed_0xD34D.zip

MIUI.us UNITED WORLDWIDE - ROM Downloads That is the website I use and the version is 2.11.9

I have ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
How do I try TWRP and where can I download it? Thanks for the quick reply!
found a solution to your problem... flash this version instead:
Dev-Host - MIUI.us_inc_v4.1_2.11.9_Eng_Deo_ZipA_Signed_0xD34D.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

for reference:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35358467

turns out the Incredibles partitions arent big enough to flash the version you were trying...

Upvote 0
found a solution to your problem... flash this version instead:
Dev-Host - MIUI.us_inc_v4.1_2.11.9_Eng_Deo_ZipA_Signed_0xD34D.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

for reference:

[ROM] HTC Droid Incredible ADR6300 MIUI.us Presents MIUI Pure English [AOSP] - Page 235 - xda-developers

turns out the Incredibles partitions arent big enough to flash the version you were trying...

You are AWESOME! Thanks for all of the help. You'd think that they wouldn't develop a version that is too big...I'm working on getting it downloaded right now:D

Upvote 0
Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I have two questions. Number one, I am on the MIUI version that was posted. I have some apps that I installed from apk's and some were updated through google play. But now it keeps giving me the error message of "Not enough space on inte... Download Unsuccessful" I am assuming it's saying internal memory. I've tried clearing cache for different apps that keep a bunch built up (Facebook) I've uninstalled some big apps to no avail. I can't download new apps and I can't update existing ones. I know this isn't MIUI forums but they haven't been able to help so I'm just asking you guys.

Question 2 is....why did my recovery not work when I couldn't get the MIUI to flash right earlier? It said something about MD5 error. Is it because they were different ROMs or it wasn't a complete backup or what? I want to be able to just use a recovery to go back to the original ROM if I decide to. If I can't do that, what ROM (and where) can I use to get what was achieved during this root process? Could I flash the same ROM used in this guide? Or would this one be better? [ROM] Stock rooted OTA 4.08.605.19 710RD - 02-10-2013 - xda-developers Will that do what I want it to? Thanks and sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I have two questions. Number one, I am on the MIUI version that was posted. I have some apps that I installed from apk's and some were updated through google play. But now it keeps giving me the error message of "Not enough space on inte... Download Unsuccessful" I am assuming it's saying internal memory. I've tried clearing cache for different apps that keep a bunch built up (Facebook) I've uninstalled some big apps to no avail. I can't download new apps and I can't update existing ones. I know this isn't MIUI forums but they haven't been able to help so I'm just asking you guys.

Question 2 is....why did my recovery not work when I couldn't get the MIUI to flash right earlier? It said something about MD5 error. Is it because they were different ROMs or it wasn't a complete backup or what? I want to be able to just use a recovery to go back to the original ROM if I decide to. If I can't do that, what ROM (and where) can I use to get what was achieved during this root process? Could I flash the same ROM used in this guide? Or would this one be better? [ROM] Stock rooted OTA 4.08.605.19 710RD - 02-10-2013 - xda-developers Will that do what I want it to? Thanks and sorry for the long post :rolleyes:
question one is a tricky one...
did you check how much free space the phone has left?(how much?) check in your "downloads" folder. You most likely have the ROMs youve tried downloaded into there. The Incredible has very limited memory compared to the newest phones and apps have become MUCH larger than they used to be in the incredibles hay day. You also might want to try moving as many apps as you can to the SD card.
The app "es file explorer" has a nice memory usage breakdown also. (the trick would be getting the app on there obviously ;))

question 2) you are good with the recovery you have. the md5 error you are getting is common and actually expected. it just means an md5 hash was not included with the rom. Most devs do not include one for some reason, impersonally wish that they would.
And best bet would be to go to the rom you linked in your post. But remember full system backups (nandroids) take up a lot of space, so be mindful of how many you have :)

Upvote 0
question one is a tricky one...
did you check how much free space the phone has left?(how much?) check in your "downloads" folder. You most likely have the ROMs youve tried downloaded into there. The Incredible has very limited memory compared to the newest phones and apps have become MUCH larger than they used to be in the incredibles hay day. You also might want to try moving as many apps as you can to the SD card.
The app "es file explorer" has a nice memory usage breakdown also. (the trick would be getting the app on there obviously ;))

question 2) you are good with the recovery you have. the md5 error you are getting is common and actually expected. it just means an md5 hash was not included with the rom. Most devs do not include one for some reason, impersonally wish that they would.
And best bet would be to go to the rom you linked in your post. But remember full system backups (nandroids) take up a lot of space, so be mindful of how many you have :)

I have 560 MB left on my SD card. The download folder isn't a problem because I download everything on the computer then transfer. And luckily I already have es file explorer :D It randomly started updating stuff while I had it plugged into the computer in disk drive mode or whatever. So it's fixed for now. I still checked on the other things too though.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm learning all I can about this kind of stuff haha. And I keep one on my phone and the other backups on PC so no worries. Thanks for the quick reply and help!! :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I believe this forum is the answer to my prayers, but I am having some issues... I just got this phone used the other day and have been going mad trying to start it. It just goes to the white screen and stays there. I am trying this solution, but my computer refuses to show that this phone is hooked up to it. It installed the drivers and the phone shows it's hooked up, but when I run the "adb devices" command, no device is shown in the prompt. What should I do? Am I wasting my time with a brick or is there something I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Hi, I believe this forum is the answer to my prayers, but I am having some issues... I just got this phone used the other day and have been going mad trying to start it. It just goes to the white screen and stays there. I am trying this solution, but my computer refuses to show that this phone is hooked up to it. It installed the drivers and the phone shows it's hooked up, but when I run the "adb devices" command, no device is shown in the prompt. What should I do? Am I wasting my time with a brick or is there something I'm missing?
when in hboot (the screen where it says s-on at the top) can you select "recovery" with the volume keys then press the power button?

then when in recovery...press volume up and the power button and the same time, and perform a factory reset from the options listed.

Upvote 0
Will this process work with a non-activated phone? I'm overseas, had to factory reset the Droid Incredible due to the 2 am reboot issue, and now I can't activate the phone because I'm not in the U.S. (and I've tried a variety of tactics to go around the activation step but have not had any luck.) As I can't get past the "Problem with Activation" page, I can't check USB debugging on the phone. Will this prevent me from rooting? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Will this process work with a non-activated phone? I'm overseas, had to factory reset the Droid Incredible due to the 2 am reboot issue, and now I can't activate the phone because I'm not in the U.S. (and I've tried a variety of tactics to go around the activation step but have not had any luck.) As I can't get past the "Problem with Activation" page, I can't check USB debugging on the phone. Will this prevent me from rooting? Thanks.
even a phone that does not boot can be rooted, as long as you can get to hboot and recovery(and have a way of transferring files to the sd card) , you can perform the steps. USB debugging is not needed.

but you should be able to get past the activation by just letting it try to activate. the call will fail and let you past the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones