• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How To] Install Android SDK On Ubuntu

Hello my friend, good to see you. :)

This does work on 14.04, I am currently running the same (though kubuntu). If you have any hiccups along the way, let me know and I will work with you to mitigate.
thanks IBT! good to see you as well :cool:

the desktop was getting to be in pretty sad shape and lagging pretty badly and crashing frequently,so i added some ram and a solid state drive,and completely wiped everything. fresh install of windows 7 and dual boot 14.04. ive been afraid to let the 12.04 laptop upgrade past that,as its specs arent fantastic. this worked fantasticly on the old laptop,so i came right here when it became time to do it on the desktop :D

i decided to run thru it,and have gotten a couple of errors. its been awhile since i did this on the 12.04 laptop,so im unsure if i ran into the same issues.

first issue is this when installing the sdk:
Code:
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~$ cd ~/android-sdk-linux/tools
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~/android-sdk-linux/tools$ ./android

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 454 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 499 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 581 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 703 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 736 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 761 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 806 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 976 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1017 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1521 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1634 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1646 was not found when attempting to remove it

then when opeing android rules:
Code:
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~/android-sdk-linux/tools$ cd
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

(gedit:17215): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
the text document that opens is empty :eek:

should i carry on? was unsure if i should paste in to the blank document and save it

thanks,guys!

Upvote 0
thanks IBT! good to see you as well :cool:

the desktop was getting to be in pretty sad shape and lagging pretty badly and crashing frequently,so i added some ram and a solid state drive,and completely wiped everything. fresh install of windows 7 and dual boot 14.04. ive been afraid to let the 12.04 laptop upgrade past that,as its specs arent fantastic. this worked fantasticly on the old laptop,so i came right here when it became time to do it on the desktop :D

i decided to run thru it,and have gotten a couple of errors. its been awhile since i did this on the 12.04 laptop,so im unsure if i ran into the same issues.

first issue is this when installing the sdk:
Code:
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~$ cd ~/android-sdk-linux/tools
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~/android-sdk-linux/tools$ ./android

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 454 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 499 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 581 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 703 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 736 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 761 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 806 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 976 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1017 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1521 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1634 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Android SDK Manager:17155): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1646 was not found when attempting to remove it

then when opeing android rules:
Code:
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~/android-sdk-linux/tools$ cd
scotty85@scotty85-A780L3G:~$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

(gedit:17215): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
the text document that opens is empty :eek:

should i carry on? was unsure if i should paste in to the blank document and save it

thanks,guys!

Mine was empty too, not a big deal. However, if you are only looking for adb/fastboot, you may be time ahead to check out EM's link above to the mini-sdk. He has a great shell script in there for linux that automates the setup quite nicely.

Also, edited OP for newest version 24.0.2 (as of 3/7/15)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first script caused problems for @scotty85 so I changed the approach. And wasn't being updated rapidly enough.

By then, he'd moved on.

I stumbled on to a universal Mini-SDK in 2010, wish I remembered whose it was so I could give credit (actually, I just realized how I could look that up).

The full SDK can give screen shots on a phone lacking that, the Mini-SDK cannot. Haven't seen one of those since 2011, and even then wasn't a problem after rooting.

If you're developing, the full SDK is essential.

As I write this, the Mini-SDK comes from from platform-tools revision 21 pulled from SDK Tools Revision 23.0.5 (October 2014). TWRP 2.8.3 and above are supported, adb version is 1.0.32.

So, time to update again. :D

Btw - you can also get adb and fastboot with apt-get.

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

For more information and worth noting -

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/328-ubuntu-trusty-android-adb-fastboot-qtadb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine was empty too, not a big deal. However, if you are only looking for adb/fastboot, you may be time ahead to check out EM's link above to the mini-sdk. He has a great shell script in there for linux that automates the setup quite nicely.

Also, edited OP for newest version 24.0.2 (as of 3/7/15)

Cool,I shall carry on when I get home.

I work with a lot of different phones,so I definitely want to get the full sdk installed and in the path so it will work in multiple folders. It works great on the old laptop :D

Upvote 0
Ummm... The Mini-SDK installer puts adb and fastboot in your path. Just saying...

In your first attempt, you had gotten so much "help" lol that your platform was pretty well corrupted and that's half of why mine didn't work out for you.

About 99.999% sure that the apt-get install will put both in your path as well. And they'll update along with the rest of your system when you do that.

In fact, I'm going to add that to the Mini-SDK for Debian-based users, so they can avoid everything else.

A full SDK install is a lot of unnecessary work if you're not developing. And bloat.

And you get the requirement to install the lovely and largely unnecessary Java VM that won't stop updating. All just to run adb and fastboot the hard way. :D ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These are instructions to install the Android SDK onto Ubuntu. If you are only interested in adb/fastboot and do not need or want the full sdk install, please see our forum's mini-sdk option for that instead. Otherwise, read on...

^^added to beginning of OP to let future folks know who may be unaware of option. Also, EM this isn't exactly in the ideal forum so if a merge/move/etc is more desirable, whatever is best for the site is a +1 from me. Or if you have any edit ideas to shore it up some, lemme know or just straight up commit them to OP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones