• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to prevent OTA update?

ehrichweiss

Lurker
Mar 11, 2012
A week ago I accidentally took an OTA firmware update on my rooted Kyocera Milano which then seems to have bricked it. I just got a replacement but don't want to root it and then find myself in the same situation. Is there a way to prevent these updates? I know on some phones you can freeze certain apps and that will prevent them but I can't find any information on what that app might be for the Milano.

Any help appreciated.

The only way I know of doing so is modifying build.prop, but I believe you have to keep doing it for new updates.

The best way to do so is to load a Custom ROM in which the ROM developer usually modifies or disables the OTAKeys file in order to prevent OTA updates overwriting their custom ROM.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
The only way I know of doing so is modifying build.prop, but I believe you have to keep doing it for new updates.

The best way to do so is to load a Custom ROM in which the ROM developer usually modifies or disables the OTAKeys file in order to prevent OTA updates overwriting their custom ROM.

Hope that helps!

Are there any custom roms for the Milano that you're aware of? I searched and couldn't find anything by Clockworkmod or the like but I'm kinda a n00b when it comes to this stuff so I could be missing a vital source and never know it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones