• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root Coolpad Catalyst Model: 3622A

noidodroid

Nov 27, 2017
Innernetz
www.noidodroid.com
How To Root Coolpad Catalyst Model: 3622A T-Mobile variant on 5.1.1.

**READ AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION**

Rooting this device.. I'm on 5.1.1 with it currently and since no compiled exploits are around that I could quickly find I attempted KingRoot. I was able to root it using the latest Kingroot PC app. Even though it said device not adaptive it rooted successfully. I unrooted and tried the apk and first attempt failed as usual.. second attempt succeeded. Removed KingUser, all remnants of KingRoot and replaced with SuperSu. Installed SuperSu into /system. Now the tricky part here is timing.

1) Download WolffDroids SuperSu replacement files. I used the latest download (slightly different script). http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html

2) Download ES File Explorer and go ahead and run it and make sure its open in the background.

3) Follow WolffDroids directions - Copy over the files from WolffDroids zip (folder named mrw) to /sdcard/ and make sure these files indeed copied.

4) Follow WolffDroids directions - Open Terminal Emulator and run the script.

***Read the next steps before executing. It's crucial that you do it as quick as possible else you risk chance of the CoolPad handset rebooting. If this happens do all steps again (minus copying /mrw over to /sdcard) but do 5-6 quicker!***

5) You will see a bunch of failures. About every line will be a failure. Once you see that the script appears to have hung (stopped doing anything).. Should be on the last step..

6) Immediately toggle over to ES File Explorer and at the bottom will show newly created files. Click on superuser.apk install and update binaries. If it doesn't show it navigate the File Browser to the mrw directory, select superuser.apk, hit install, and update binaries.

7) Install as /system if you like.

8) Reboot, once booted check and make sure you have root and supersu is running!

9) Clean up any files you don't want.

10) Done

So far I have had no reboots. No problems. If i encounter any before this device goes to market I will update this thread.

In case any major issues such as soft bricked devices etc here is the link to the Firmware file used in QFIL.
https://firmwarefile.com/coolpad-catalyst-3622a

Cheers
noidodroid / phonecapone on XDA

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones