• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to safely remove note 8 without warning?

This is how it works :
Google photos are your photos already uploaded to the cloud, not on your device.
The gallery app is just a photo viewer, nothing more.
It will only show you the photos that are on your device.
If you delete a photo on your device using the gallery app, it is gone forever.
Unless the photo has already been uploaded to the cloud, which is Google photos....
So to summarize, if you see the photos in the photos app, it is now safe to delete them from your device using the gallery app.

I notice something.

Example
If I take a photo (photo1) it will appear in Gallery app and also appear in Google photos app
Now in Gallery app I delete photo1, in Google photos app [Photos] tab I will still see photo1, in Google photos app [Library]>[Camera] I will not see photo1.
Why does this happen? In Google photos is the photo1 automatically deleted from cloud or hiding somewhere?

Upvote 0
Because when you are looking at Google photos app [Library]>[Camera], Google photos is looking in your device folder, which is on your phone, which is gone since you've deleted it.
Any photo you delete with the gallery app is only deleted from your phone storage.
However, that same photo is not deleted from the Google photos app, so if you want a photo permanently deleted, you'll need to delete from both apps

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
If I restart my phone (no apps are opened) and did not press Google photos app, does it mean Google photos app is not working and any photos I taken will not be synced to Google photos cloud instantly? Is it I must tap Google photos app then it will sync to Google photos cloud?

Do I need to tap Google photos app and let it always be running at the back while I use other apps, then any photos I taken will be synced to google photos cloud instantly?

Upvote 0
If I restart my phone (no apps are opened) and did not press Google photos app, does it mean Google photos app is not working and any photos I taken will not be synced to Google photos cloud instantly? Is it I must tap Google photos app then it will sync to Google photos cloud?

Do I need to tap Google photos app and let it always be running at the back while I use other apps, then any photos I taken will be synced to google photos cloud instantly?

I tested it myself and it seems like even if I open the Google photos app and leave it on in the background it will not auto instant upload to the Google photos cloud after I took a photo, after I take a photo I still need to go to Google photos app and let the app stay open on screen then it will start to upload to Google photos cloud. Is there a way to instantly upload the photos I have taken to Google photos in the background without Google photos displaying on the screen front (so I can do other stuff use other apps while photos are uploading in the background)? Thanks

Upvote 0
There are some fundamental aspects to your photo library that you need to take into consideration so you don't let some misconceptions mess up how to manage all your photos.
-- When you use the Camera app on your phone to take a picture, the app saves that photo to a file stored within a specific folder in your phone's internal storage. Take a bunch of photos and you of course end up building up a sizable photo library. But there's an added twist to complicate things. Your friends and family probably have sent you a lot of photos via email and texting. Plus you might be saving some photo files using your web browser. While it would be nice if all those photos would end up in the same folder but that's just not the case. While most email apps, most texting apps, and most web browser apps use the Downloads folder as their default save folder, and your Camera app uses it's specific default save folder (varies by name depending on the manufacturer so could be DCIM (Digital Camera IMages), or Photos, or Pics, or whatever), that's not always the case as some apps use their own default save folder. So there are a lot of variables involved based on your phone model, Android version it's running, which apps are involved, etc. as far as just where your photo files are stored in your phone.
-- Regarding the Gallery app and the Google Photos app, both are just photo display apps. They automatically scan, detect, and index your phone's internal storage for photo files, then when you start one or the other up it pops up on your display showing your photo library in thumbnail images in a cutesy way. They're just viewers, so you're not actually storing any photo within one or the other. That's a big distinction to keep in mind -- your photos are actual files stored in different locations in your phone's storage media. (... with a side issue being one or the other might have better capabilities in detecting all those different folders that may or may not contain photo files.)
-- A significant feature that the Google Photos app includes that the Gallery app does not is that Backup & sync function. This also involves a number of other twists and managing your photo library as a whole. If you just rely upon the default settings of the Google Photos app things swing in one direction. But if you customize/optimize some of those same settings, things swing in a different direction. So if you're trying to get a good grip on managing all your photos files in a way that best serve your own particular needs be sure to look in the Google Photo app's 'Photo settings' menu and pay close attention to which options do what function so you can configure things accordingly.
-- Ideally it would be best to have your entire photo library on your phone and an exact duplicate backed up safely and automatically so any changes on your phone or to the backup are also done automatically and concurrently. In this scenario, you can view all your photos on your phone, or via a web browser to view the exact same thing stored in your backup. Both photo libraries are constantly being synced with each other in the background.
But there are some options in the Google Photos app that can alter this setup in order to free up storage space in your phone's internal storage and/or free up storage space in your online Google account (that's what the Google Photos app uses as its default save location, in your Google account storage. If you go to the Google Photos app >> Photo settings >> Back up & sync menu there's a 'Upload size' option. You can choose to have your backed up photo files left as is or have them automatically scaled down to a lower resolution to cut back file sizes. At this point your phone's photos will be left as is at their original, higher res while your online backed up photos will a slightly lower res. Or to free up more storage space in your phone, use the 'Free up device storage' option. This will remove photo files from your phone when they get backed up into your online Google account storage. Personally If find this particular option to be a bit abhorrent -- this requires your phone to always have an online connection (either WiFi or mobile) to have actual physical access to your entire photo library because some of your photos will be on your phone and some only when you can access them online. While you do have the thumbnail images to peruse through using the Google Photos app, it's hardly optimal if you want to do something to the actual photo file. And the Gallery app is only going to be able to access those files that are on your phone. But there are those who have limited storage space in their phones and have built up a large number of photos so there is that.
So set up the Google Photos app with some thought as to how you want to manage your own photo collections, and don't forge to keep in mind there are going to be two different but identical (maybe) photo libraries. One being your on your phone (in different folders and accessible via the Google Photos app) and the other being within your online Google account (accessible using a web browser viewing https://photos.google.com )

Upvote 0
There are some fundamental aspects to your photo library that you need to take into consideration so you don't let some misconceptions mess up how to manage all your photos.
-- When you use the Camera app on your phone to take a picture, the app saves that photo to a file stored within a specific folder in your phone's internal storage. Take a bunch of photos and you of course end up building up a sizable photo library. But there's an added twist to complicate things. Your friends and family probably have sent you a lot of photos via email and texting. Plus you might be saving some photo files using your web browser. While it would be nice if all those photos would end up in the same folder but that's just not the case. While most email apps, most texting apps, and most web browser apps use the Downloads folder as their default save folder, and your Camera app uses it's specific default save folder (varies by name depending on the manufacturer so could be DCIM (Digital Camera IMages), or Photos, or Pics, or whatever), that's not always the case as some apps use their own default save folder. So there are a lot of variables involved based on your phone model, Android version it's running, which apps are involved, etc. as far as just where your photo files are stored in your phone.
-- Regarding the Gallery app and the Google Photos app, both are just photo display apps. They automatically scan, detect, and index your phone's internal storage for photo files, then when you start one or the other up it pops up on your display showing your photo library in thumbnail images in a cutesy way. They're just viewers, so you're not actually storing any photo within one or the other. That's a big distinction to keep in mind -- your photos are actual files stored in different locations in your phone's storage media. (... with a side issue being one or the other might have better capabilities in detecting all those different folders that may or may not contain photo files.)
-- A significant feature that the Google Photos app includes that the Gallery app does not is that Backup & sync function. This also involves a number of other twists and managing your photo library as a whole. If you just rely upon the default settings of the Google Photos app things swing in one direction. But if you customize/optimize some of those same settings, things swing in a different direction. So if you're trying to get a good grip on managing all your photos files in a way that best serve your own particular needs be sure to look in the Google Photo app's 'Photo settings' menu and pay close attention to which options do what function so you can configure things accordingly.
-- Ideally it would be best to have your entire photo library on your phone and an exact duplicate backed up safely and automatically so any changes on your phone or to the backup are also done automatically and concurrently. In this scenario, you can view all your photos on your phone, or via a web browser to view the exact same thing stored in your backup. Both photo libraries are constantly being synced with each other in the background.
But there are some options in the Google Photos app that can alter this setup in order to free up storage space in your phone's internal storage and/or free up storage space in your online Google account (that's what the Google Photos app uses as its default save location, in your Google account storage. If you go to the Google Photos app >> Photo settings >> Back up & sync menu there's a 'Upload size' option. You can choose to have your backed up photo files left as is or have them automatically scaled down to a lower resolution to cut back file sizes. At this point your phone's photos will be left as is at their original, higher res while your online backed up photos will a slightly lower res. Or to free up more storage space in your phone, use the 'Free up device storage' option. This will remove photo files from your phone when they get backed up into your online Google account storage. Personally If find this particular option to be a bit abhorrent -- this requires your phone to always have an online connection (either WiFi or mobile) to have actual physical access to your entire photo library because some of your photos will be on your phone and some only when you can access them online. While you do have the thumbnail images to peruse through using the Google Photos app, it's hardly optimal if you want to do something to the actual photo file. And the Gallery app is only going to be able to access those files that are on your phone. But there are those who have limited storage space in their phones and have built up a large number of photos so there is that.
So set up the Google Photos app with some thought as to how you want to manage your own photo collections, and don't forge to keep in mind there are going to be two different but identical (maybe) photo libraries. One being your on your phone (in different folders and accessible via the Google Photos app) and the other being within your online Google account (accessible using a web browser viewing https://photos.google.com )

Thanks for your answer.

Does all menu/categories at Google photos web site https://photos.google.com/ only show photos uploaded to cloud (Google photos), and will not show any photos that are stored in the phone internal storage?

Upvote 0
Does all menu/categories at Google photos web site https://photos.google.com/ only show photos uploaded to cloud (Google photos), and will not show any photos that are stored in the phone internal storage?

That depends on how you configure the Google Photos app on your phone. Keep in mind you're working with two separate, but essentially duplicate, photo libraries. The Google Photos app you installed on your phone is viewing your phone's content and your Google account content but only when you're phone is connected online (WiFi or mobile data). The web site URL is accessing your Google account data, what's stored online. And yes, that's kind of a messed up, confusing aspect that Google has added into the mix as part of its vendor lock-in policy. It wants to lock you into always relying upon Google Photos (both the app on your mobile devices and the web site for anything else). That's why you really need to pay attention to how your configure the Google Photos app from the start so it serves your needs, not Google's.
-- The 'Upload size' option has the potential to make your phone's photo and video content left as is but your Google account photo and video content will be a slightly lower res duplicate (which does kind of stretch the term 'duplicate' and now there is a difference). Personally I think both should be 'Original quality' but that's my preference.
-- That 'Free up device storage' option will do just that, I don't like it because I think it's better to have all your photos on your phone and that same collection of photos backed up into my Google account, but again that's just my preference. If you have a really large number of photos and your storage space is getting limited that may be an option. Just note that when you do opt to enable this option, you always need to have your phone connected online as the Google Photos app on your phone has to be online. That's not a problem if you do always have online connectivity but if you travel or whatever and there's no Internet you can't access all your photos because some of them (it typically uploads and then deletes the oldest, least altered photos and videos).
-- There's also an option to selectively choose which folders to be backed up or ignored. If you do intentionally bypass some folders, this results in all your photos being left on your phone as is, but not accessible when you're using the web URL (those chosen pics and vids don't get backed up into your online account.).

Upvote 0
Q1. In the Google Photos app>Photo settings>Back up & sync>Back up device folders (screenshot https://i.imgur.com/UAWBRzx.png ), it displays a message "Your camera folder is automatically backup up.", what is the location of the camera folder?

Q2. Is [This PC\Galaxy Note8\Phone\DCIM] the camera folder and is it any images/videos added to this location will be automatically backed up? I notice if I put any new image in this folder [This PC\Galaxy Note8\Phone\DCIM] it will auto upload to Google photos cloud and I can see it at https://photos.google.com/ instantly.

Q3. I notice if I just restart my phone and no apps is switched on (I did not press google photos app), I pressed camera app and took a photo and immediately I refresh the webpage https://photos.google.com/ in my PC I will see the new photo available in https://photos.google.com/ , what and where can I see the setting that allow instant new photo to upload to Google photos cloud even though the Google photos app is not active (Google photos app not pressed).

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Q1. In the Google Photos app>Photo settings>Back up & sync>Back up device folders (screenshot https://i.imgur.com/UAWBRzx.png ), it displays a message "Your camera folder is automatically backup up.", what is the location of the camera folder?

Q2. Is [This PC\Galaxy Note8\Phone\DCIM] the camera folder and is it any images/videos added to this location will be automatically backed up? I notice if I put any new image in this folder [This PC\Galaxy Note8\Phone\DCIM] it will auto upload to Google photos cloud and I can see it at https://photos.google.com/ instantly.

Q3. I notice if I just restart my phone and no apps is switched on (I did not press google photos app), I pressed camera app and took a photo and immediately I refresh the webpage https://photos.google.com/ in my PC I will see the new photo available in https://photos.google.com/ , what and where can I see the setting that allow instant new photo to upload to Google photos cloud even though the Google photos app is not active (Google photos app not pressed).

Thanks

Q1 -- Start up in Camera app, look in its Settings menu for the app's default save folder location.
Q2 -- Using a Windows PC to access your phone's storage is always going to involve compromises and limitations. You're using a foreign operating system to remotely access a different operating system. When it involves Windows, Microsoft is really anal about including native support to other file systems, and Windows runs on top of NTFS while Android on top on ext4. So that's likely to be correct file path but I'd recommend you use a file manager app on your Note (you already have the My Files app) to view and manipulate files and folders on your phone instead of Window's File Explorer.
Q3 -- Typically after a restart the Google Photos app will be one of those services that auto-start in the background. So that's a 'maybe'. When you take a picture is should, within reason, get automatically uploaded into your online Google account, but not always immediately. A lot of people mistakenly assume that the backup and sync function is an always one, immediate function but it's not, and when it doesn't do what they expect that means it doesn't work. But file transfers occur based on timing preset by Google, and as far as I know it doesn't reveal that number. Could be within a few seconds or several minutes, and it could also be based on auto-detecting when there's a lull in actively using network connectivity or something similar. (Google is always boasting about how it incorporate AI into a lot of its services).

Upvote 0
Q1 -- Start up in Camera app, look in its Settings menu for the app's default save folder location.
Q2 -- Using a Windows PC to access your phone's storage is always going to involve compromises and limitations. You're using a foreign operating system to remotely access a different operating system. When it involves Windows, Microsoft is really anal about including native support to other file systems, and Windows runs on top of NTFS while Android on top on ext4. So that's likely to be correct file path but I'd recommend you use a file manager app on your Note (you already have the My Files app) to view and manipulate files and folders on your phone instead of Window's File Explorer.
Q3 -- Typically after a restart the Google Photos app will be one of those services that auto-start in the background. So that's a 'maybe'. When you take a picture is should, within reason, get automatically uploaded into your online Google account, but not always immediately. A lot of people mistakenly assume that the backup and sync function is an always one, immediate function but it's not, and when it doesn't do what they expect that means it doesn't work. But file transfers occur based on timing preset by Google, and as far as I know it doesn't reveal that number. Could be within a few seconds or several minutes, and it could also be based on auto-detecting when there's a lull in actively using network connectivity or something similar. (Google is always boasting about how it incorporate AI into a lot of its services).

In Camera app, look in its Settings menu, unable to see the app's default save folder location? (screenshot attached)

Is there somewhere that I can see a list of all services that auto-start in the background after a restart? (just to know what services are running even the app is not pressed/started manually)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-101211_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-101211_Camera.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220810-101154_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-101154_Camera.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apparently the Camera app you're using does have a nice feature set but it doesn't include the option to set a specific folder for its default save location. Some do, some at least rudimentary control to choose between internal storage of microSD card storage, and some, like yours, limit the app to use a preset folder. (Plus point -- limiting the default save for pics and vids reduces the chance a user will pick an oddball location. Minus point -- this limits those users who do opt to use a specific folder for a specific purpose.) If this aspect really irks you there are really good alternative, third-party camera apps that include also include a lot of customization and optimization features, including picking specific default save directories, but your Note 8 has a nice, capable camera module (hardware) and the Samsung default Camera app (software) is a pretty good, matching camera app.

There is a 'Running services' utility that will list what apps are running, and it includes 'Cached services' which is more specific to your query. But Running services is buried in your phone's 'Developer options' and you do need to enable that being visible first:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-android-apps-running-background/

Upvote 0
I took a screenshot in the morning at 8am today and it was instantly uploaded to google photos

In [Gallery] app that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Today]

In [Google photos] app>[Photos tab] that screenshot is shown wrongly at the header [Yesterday]
In [Google photos] app>[Library tab]>[Camera] that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Today]

How to fix the problem "In [Google photos] app>[Photos tab] that screenshot is shown wrongly at the header [Yesterday]"?
-----
update

I took another screenshot in the afternoon at 1pm today and it was instantly uploaded to google photos

In [Gallery] app that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Today]

In [Google photos] app>[Photos tab] that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Today]
In [Google photos] app>[Library tab]>[Camera] that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Today]

It seems like the problem only occurs in the morning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps if you temper down your expectations that the Google Photos app backup and sync function is not always going to be instantaneous. There are often a lot of variables involved (with online connectivity, bandwidth of your connection, lulls in active use of the Google Photos app itself or other active services on your phone affecting how often the app will scan and detect new images, etc.). It's not like you turn on a light switch and the bulb immediately lights up, that background and sync function is just a background convenience measure so it works on its own schedule, not necessarily because you expect it to.

Upvote 0
Perhaps if you temper down your expectations that the Google Photos app backup and sync function is not always going to be instantaneous. There are often a lot of variables involved (with online connectivity, bandwidth of your connection, lulls in active use of the Google Photos app itself or other active services on your phone affecting how often the app will scan and detect new images, etc.). It's not like you turn on a light switch and the bulb immediately lights up, that background and sync function is just a background convenience measure so it works on its own schedule, not necessarily because you expect it to.

It is not about instantaneous, it is about the time stamp in Google photos seems to be slower than the real time.

Example: if I take a photo on 10 July, it would instantly upload to Google photos,

In [Gallery] app that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Jul 10]

In [Google photos] app>[Photos tab] that screenshot is shown wrongly at the header [Jul 09]
In [Google photos] app>[Library tab]>[Camera] that screenshot is shown correctly at the header [Jul 10]

Upvote 0
Well since you obviously are having issues with using the Google Photos app perhaps it will be more prudent to just stop using it. Uninstall the app, save yourself from all the frustrations you're having, and set up a different backup solution for your photo library that just works the way you want it to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones