• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop music from autoplaying in car?

dbronstein

Dec 19, 2009
I have an s7 edge. A few weeks ago, it started autoplaying music when it connects to bluetooth in my car. How do I get it to stop doing this? I have tried searching and none of the suggestions have worked (if I can even try them - some refer to settings that don't exist on my phone).

Reactions: VTom
go to settings and search for "smart settings". You'll find it probably says to start Samsung Music when connected to Bluetooth. I have mine launch SiriusXM when connected to a Bose Bluetooth speaker as shown below.

smartsettings.png

Upvote 0
go to settings and search for "smart settings". You'll find it probably says to start Samsung Music when connected to Bluetooth. I have mine launch SiriusXM when connected to a Bose Bluetooth speaker as shown below.

View attachment 140268

It says no results found when I search for smart settings. I cannot find any setting anywhere that says to start anything when connected to bluetooth.

I have android 8.0.0 with samsung experience 9.0 if that makes any difference.

Upvote 0
I need to receive calls when I'm in the car.
I'm not sure this is the setup you want, but I'll give it a shot. I only want to have my phone linked to my truck for phone calls as I have siriusXM in the truck. When I use my phone for navigation I don't want to have to put the radio on media to hear the commands, so I want them to come through the phone's speaker, not the truck.

Once I pair my phone via bluetooth I go into bluetooth where it lists the connected devices. I click the gear next to my truck's connection and I can choose what it connects for with the options Phone and Media (there may be more now, but I'm at work and the menu only comes up when I'm connected to the truck). I uncheck media and it doesn't connect with that.

Again, I'm not sure if will prevent the music streaming from starting or if you don't want it connected for media. Just another thing to try.

Upvote 0
^^^ that should work. I just checked and I have those settings, too (Android 8.0 on an LG G6). My wife has an S7 Edge, so I can check for you when she gets home from work if you'd like. The only problem here is that if you ever want to play music in your car, you have to go back and manually turn it on and then remember to turn it off again.

Another thing to try would be to use your car's hands-free settings to select the music player, if that's an option. In my car I have my phone and an iPod nano paired. If for any reason I was using the phone as the audio source and forget to switch it back to the nano, it will behave exactly as you describe. Once it pairs, it launches the music player, even if i have the head unit set to the radio.

Upvote 0
Can you switch your car to another input source. I usually have mine set to the radio, rather than Bluetooth.
Another suggestion is to switch off Bluetooth on your phone. It's a battery drain if you leave it on constantly anyway.

Useless answer. We want Bluetooth on for maps or calls. Just not auto playing the last song. Also, phone is plugged in to power while driving, so battery drain not an issue

Upvote 0
This jackass problem has been around for years. I wish Android would give us the choice to not allow Bluetooth commands to control our phones. I NEVER want another device to be able to play media on my phone.

In my experience, when a behavior as insane as autoplay is implemented, greed is usually the reason. I strongly suspect BMI and ASCAP have their fingers in this contractually. I like having a music app, but since they all do this, it looks like I am faced with doing without. One would think that a $10/mo subscription would be enough to allow you the luxury of deciding when your phone will play music, but apparently not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones