• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to turn off auto reading of text messages out loud

defaria

Aug 4, 2014
A few weeks ago my phone started reading text messages out loud. These can come from Facebook Messenger or Hangouts or whatever texting apps I have. I'm running Nougat and have searched high and low for the setting to turn this off. Since multiple apps all read text messages to me I would think this would be a system setting rather than an app setting. Still I cannot find that setting. I've read many supposed fixes but many of them are just incorrect. They tell me things like go into settings > voice actions or some such and there is no voice actions under settings ("voice actions" is just an example. I read of many different ones, then I check the posting date and see something like posted in 2013 or something. It's clear to me that the settings selection have changed a lot since then and such directions are just way off).

This should be simple. There should be one setting at the system level that says whether or not to read the text of incoming text messages but for the life of me I cannot find it on my Galaxy S7 running Nougat. Sometimes I start chatting with a particularly aggressive Facebook user and my phone is flying off the hook trying to read all the text messages. It's a real waste of time.

How the hell do you turn this off!

Search in accessibility/select to speak. If you have it turn it off.

Settings > Search > type in "speak". I have "Speak Passwords" (that's not it), "Turn off all Sounds" (sounds draconian - presents a menu of choices including "Turn off all sounds" (not good), Hearing aids (Sorry I'm not hard of hearing), Samsung subtitles (I'm not looking for subtitles), Google subtitles (still not looking for subtitles), Left/Right Sound Balance (no that's not it), Mono Audio (not it either). Sorry "speak" is no clue.

The only other thing I find when I search for "speak" is "Text-to-speech" who's menu is "Samsung Text to Speak" (Not looking for this), "Google Text-to-speech" (yes this is toggled on), Speech Rate (not what I'm looking for), Pitch (also not what I'm looking for), Reset Pitch (pitch is fine), Listen to example (don't need to listen to an example - I'm trying to stop speech not listen to it!), Default Language Status (also not what I'm looking for).

What I'm looking for: A simple switch to tell my f-ing phone to stop reading texts out loud!

Upvote 0
Of course! The question still is "where *exactly* is this setting!!!".

Let me show you. Going into settings and utilizing the search feature I find text-to-speech:

Screenshot_20170516-100816.png

Either Text-to-speech link goes to the same place:

Screenshot_20170516-100909.png

Nothing above is a "turn off text-to-speech" switch.
There is one more setting if I scroll down which says "Default language status" but that has nothing to do with turning off text-to-speech anyway:

Screenshot_20170516-101047.png

Tapping the little gear icon next to "Google Text-to-Spee..." looked promising and presents me with:

Screenshot_20170516-100942.png

Finally I'm thinking Settings for Google Text-to-speech.." might be the place but alas no:

Screenshot_20170516-101008.png

So again, where is this magic setting?!?

Upvote 0
First off, I'm not trying to stop the notification sounds that may be involved in a phone call. It's not a phone call but text messages.

Secondly, There is no "message call voice" in settings on my phone. I'm running nougat. What are you running?

It's clear to me that the settings area is vastly different from one version of Android to the next. It may even be vastly different between phone manufacturers such as LG vs Samsung. I'm Samsung S7 running nougat, which is what I put in the OP.

Upvote 0
I'm on nougat also. Its obvious that you want the reading of messages to stop. Even like phones on different carriers can have different available settings just as different devices can have like settings.

Only trying to help. I will stop now. Maybe someone else has the same phone on the same carrier with the same issue and can point you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Found it. It was this "Talk and Tone" app that I run that controls my wireless bluetooth headphones. It has a setting that was ill described that I had turned on. The way I discovered it was that I noticed a notification with a "Stop" button once when it was going off and I long tapped it to forbid it to give me notifications and I noticed it said "Talk and Tone". I then went into the app and found the setting and turned it off. Maybe this will help somebody else.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I have a same problem, it happened when i connect my phone on my car. Im using galaxy A80 with android 11. Everytime a new text message appeared, it will always said outloud. My messages is on bahasa, so the speech was super terrible since the only language is english. So it ends up with the worst speech ever.

Even worse there is no option to disable it. Tried searching for the options, even text to speech or talkback, still happened.Your solutions aren't helping me at all. Trying to search for answers but there is nothing. I have no talk and tone installed. Its like there is no option to turn off this feature. Or this is the default feature.

Thanks so much android who make this useless feature. I just wanna listen to my songs on spotify, in my car eithout distractions. I wish they added the disable button just to turn of this useless feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones