• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to upgrade to 2.3.3 gingerbread and root the firmware again for SGS4G

statcomp

Mar 24, 2011
To be honest with you, I did the upgrade due to my work but I didn't notice big difference between two versions except that newer one is little faster. I know there are a lot of articles about the upgrade to 2.3.3 and rooting, but they might confuse people as they did to me. That's the reason of this post.

Background:
I had rooted SGS4G with 2.2.3 and t-mobile. I am a kind of heavy user of this device as I am a mobile developer. But I am not that happy with the device mainly because it has unbelievably short battery life, comparing with iphone anyway.

Preparation:
Before upgrading to gingerbread, I backed up all user apps and system data to sd card with TI. And synced contacts with google in case.

Upgrade and Root Process:
I refer to following two articles to upgrade to 2.3.3 and root the version.

How To Update Samsung Galaxy S 4G to Gingerbread 2.3.3 Firmware | Android Advices

How to root samsung galaxy s 4g on gingerbread 2.3.3? - Mobile Questions

That's about it. Actually, two processes above were easy part.

Restore process:
After that, you need to install TI backup first to restore all saved in sd card. To do that, just go to android market and grap the app there. I was pleased to know the market app actually remembered all apps I installed from there. In case, you have pro version of TI. You actually need to install free version first. Installing pro version turned out to be just putting a key to the free version. After the installation of TI, you are almost done but you need to open TI app and restore all apps and data from sd card. It took about 10 mins.

After restoring all, system might give you a couple of error messages from app crashes. I think it's because of the upgrade. Mainly map app had a problem so I reinstalled it from market and no more issue.

Now, finally time to go back to work. Hope this helps.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones