• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Evo stuck on screen with 4 triangles and "HTC" in middle!!!!

What happened to your revolutionary bootloader?
crap! :hmpf:

i think i know what happened.

my guess is that you followed this advice before seeing my advice not to,and replaced the 6.16 hboot with the 6.17,wich is NOT protecting itself from being over written.
Take a look at this thread:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/655895-complete-unrooting-guide-evo-4g.html

and scroll down to "Method 2"/ "If you have hboot 6.16.1002, s-off-- follow this guide:"

I think you need to install the hex edited hboot first...

when i read the following,i just assumed the android flasher was checking the location of the real secureflag(wich may be true,still,im not sure) but you actually had,at this point,replaced the "sticky" 6.16 hboot with the 6.17,and then overwrote that with one of the RUUs(im guessing this one since it has the baseband that matches). looking at the second picture you linked,you were in fact,full fledged s on during this process,just a android flasher said.

my apologies for not looking at your pictures and catching this sooner :eek:

This is the screen before the Android Flasher
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4593589/WP_20140604_16_25_57_Pro.jpg

I tried in another computer an I was able to run the Android Flasher, but now it is telling me the Phone have S-ON.

This is the log after running the Android Flasher:

error: device not found
security: on
finished. total time: 0.001s
sending 'hboot' (512 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.316s]
writing 'hboot'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 0.393s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.096s]
finished. total time: 0.096s

I copied the ROM as mentioned in step 2, reset it the phone but still the stuck in the 4 triangles.

Tried to run the RUU but also failed. But now it shows a different screen
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4593589/WP_20140609_13_46_19_Pro.jpg

I tried to connect to the phone with ADB but is doesn't show the Device.
I tried to connect with fastboot and was able to see it.

Should I try something with the fastboot?

Please let me know.

Thanks

*sigh* :(

im afraid this throws a pretty good wrench into things,since youre now s on. biggest prollem is that we now can only flash files that are signed by htc. this prevents us from installing a recovery,or installing either the eng or revolutionary bootloader.

unfortunately,the only means of either s off tool working requires a booting phone,as does the sneeky overwriting of partitions using a temp root exploit.

there are only a couple possibilities that come to mind at this point:
1)install a full,signed ruu that contains the eng hboot. prollem is i do not think one exists
2)install htcdev compatible hboot so we can unlock it,and install a recovery. prollem is the same-i dont think it exists. i looked thru the htcdev supported devices and dont see supersonic

it is interesting to note that prior,the boot install was failing,and now,system is the prollem.

again,sorry i didnt notice your pictures earlier. im afraid for now that we are stuck :(

Upvote 0
Scotty85 said:
there are only a couple possibilities that come to mind at this point:
1)install a full,signed ruu that contains the eng hboot. prollem is i do not think one exists
2)install htcdev compatible hboot so we can unlock it,and install a recovery. prollem is the same-i dont think it exists. i looked thru the htcdev supported devices and dont see supersonic

Think Cap't Throwback has anything laying around in his cloud/files? :dontknow:

Scotty, you've done a hell of a job and you are a helluva help with HTC devices and appreciate you help here too;) :D

Upvote 0
Think Cap't Throwback has anything laying around in his cloud/files? :dontknow:

Scotty, you've done a hell of a job and you are a helluva help with HTC devices and appreciate you help here too;) :D

thanks mister mike,i do what i can :) do any of you OG evo guys know if there is an htcdev ruu that only installs a compatible hboot? or was that hboot part of the most recent updates?

it would be worth checking with the captn and seeing if hes ever heard of a signed htcdev hboot,or an "engineering" ruu(there was one for the eris,but ive never seen one for other devices)

Upvote 0
I'll have to read up on this current situation and see if there's anything left to be tried. Unless someone wants to summarize for me ;).

EDIT: Read briefly. So you're looking for a signed firmware zip with an HTCDev-compatible HBOOT? That'll be in the OTA zip for 4.54 to 4.67. I'll grab it and upload.

P.S. I'm not sure it'll help, though, tbh. It looks like there's some mtd corruption causing those partition update failures.

EDIT 2: Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm6m61o78r0poe6/firmware.zip

You'll have to be in RUU mode to flash it, so the commands are:
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
After it completes, "fastboot reboot bootloader" to confirm it took.

Then you should be able to unlock with HTCDev.

Upvote 0
I'll have to read up on this current situation and see if there's anything left to be tried. Unless someone wants to summarize for me ;).

EDIT: Read briefly. So you're looking for a signed firmware zip with an HTCDev-compatible HBOOT? That'll be in the OTA zip for 4.54 to 4.67. I'll grab it and upload.

P.S. I'm not sure it'll help, though, tbh. It looks like there's some mtd corruption causing those partition update failures.

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

thanks capn! the issue is that running a full firmware.zip is also updating the radio to a non-unrevoked compatible version.

there is definately some mtd corruption or other hardware failure,what we were working towards is radio s off to eliminate ALL write protections,and then possibly using the eng hboot to wipe/rebuild the file system(first failures were with boot,after downgrade it was system :thinking:)

so what really need is a signed htcdev hboot only zip,or a signed enginering ruu with would contain the eng hboot. there is no other way(that i can think of) to get hboot or radio s off without a booting phone :(

hmm wonder if we upgraded back to an unlockable htcdev hboot,could we whip up a zip file,or maybe use adb/flash_image in recovery to flash the older radio? maybe there is hope after all. :)

neofit,if you flash the firmware from cap'n,unlock it and install a recovery and report how that goes :)

edit:
again,flashing the zip file is not likely going to make the phone boot. what you can try afterward,is to flash a very small footprint rom- smaller the better. if there are bad blocks in system a smaller rom may install and boot. i would try a very basic GB or cm7 rom(something stock,no themes or extra stuff).

after flashing the rom,you may or may not have to manually install the boot image,im unfamiliar with wether or not recovery is able to install it on this particular device. perhaps ocn or mike can confirm wether or not that will be needed. :)

Upvote 0
thanks capn! the issue is that running a full firmware.zip is also updating the radio to a non-unrevoked compatible version.

there is definately some mtd corruption or other hardware failure,what we were working towards is radio s off to eliminate ALL write protections,and then possibly using the eng hboot to wipe/rebuild the file system(first failures were with boot,after downgrade it was system :thinking:)

so what really need is a signed htcdev hboot only zip,or a signed enginering ruu with would contain the eng hboot. there is no other way(that i can think of) to get hboot or radio s off without a booting phone :(

hmm wonder if we upgraded back to an unlockable htcdev hboot,could we whip up a zip file,or maybe use adb/flash_image in recovery to flash the older radio? maybe there is hope after all. :)

neofit,if you flash the firmware from cap'n,unlock it and install a recovery and report how that goes :)

edit:
again,flashing the zip file is not likely going to make the phone boot. what you can try afterward,is to flash a very small footprint rom- smaller the better. if there are bad blocks in system a smaller rom may install and boot. i would try a very basic GB or cm7 rom(something stock,no themes or extra stuff).

after flashing the rom,you may or may not have to manually install the boot image,im unfamiliar with wether or not recovery is able to install it on this particular device. perhaps ocn or mike can confirm wether or not that will be needed. :)
There's only one ENG HBOOT for this device, and it's not compatible with all hardware versions.

I thought the goal here was just to get the device to a working state. Unlocking with HTCDev will allow a custom recovery to be flashed, and then a custom ROM. If that works, I'd say mission is accomplished at that point.

The issue is if the firmware zip won't flash because of mtd corruption. If there are more "FAIL-PU" errors when trying to flash the signed firmware, then there isn't much else that can be done.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

I was not able to load the firmware.zip.
C:\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
sending 'zip' (15479 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.538s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
(bootloader) checking model ID...
(bootloader) checking custom ID...
(bootloader) checking main version...
(bootloader) start image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...
(bootloader) start image[hboot] flushing...
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,0
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,100
(bootloader) start image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...
(bootloader) start image[radio] flushing...
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,0
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,7
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,16
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,21
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,26
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,35
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,40
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,45
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,50
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,radio,100
FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)
finished. total time: 34.070s

I tried and was able to unlock it with HTC Dev (See attached picture)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4593589/WP_20140715_13_44_36_Pro.jpg

C:\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.170s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
(bootloader) unlock token check successfully
OKAY [ 0.007s]
finished. total time: 0.179s

There is something else I can try it?? :thinking:

Upvote 0
OKAY [ 3.538s]
writing 'zip'...

OKAY [ 0.170s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
OKAY [ 0.007s]

You can try flashing a very small rom. The smaller, the better. Something like cm7

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
OKAY [ 3.538s]
writing 'zip'...

OKAY [ 0.170s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
OKAY [ 0.007s]

That first failure you saw wasn't actually a failure.

If you look at it, it says to flush the image again immediately. Did you do that? It updates just HBOOT on the first run. The second run updates the rest.

But the goal was accomplished, and you were able to unlock the bootloader. So now you flash a custom recovery and a ROM.

Upvote 0
I just tried to flash the recovery and aparently it was succesful...

C:\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.4-supersonic.img
sending 'recovery' (3454 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.032s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.533s]
finished. total time: 2.567s

But I'm not able to see the recovery menu, still seeing the 4 triangles.
Should I install the ROM with Fastboot?
Could you recommend a ROM to install it?

Thanks

Upvote 0
That first failure you saw wasn't actually a failure.

If you look at it, it says to flush the image again immediately. Did you do that? It updates just HBOOT on the first run. The second run updates the rest.

But the goal was accomplished, and you were able to unlock the bootloader. So now you flash a custom recovery and a ROM.

the rest of the firmware zip was just rcdata,a boot image(wich we will change anyway) and a stock recovery(wich we will also change anyway) so failing to run the rest of it i dont think was of grave importance.

if we have bad blocks in system that are preventing the full image from being in memory,installing something that "fits" may allow the phone to boot.

i suggested cm7,or some other pure-ish GB AOSP rom as they are usually 75mb or less :eek: :D hopefully one of the evo experts can recomend a good one :)

dont forget that a seperate flash of the boot image may be needed(not 100% sure with this device) after successfully flashing the rom

Upvote 0
I just tried to flash the recovery and aparently it was succesful...

C:\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.4-supersonic.img
sending 'recovery' (3454 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.032s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.533s]
finished. total time: 2.567s

But I'm not able to see the recovery menu, still seeing the 4 triangles.
Should I install the ROM with Fastboot?
Could you recommend a ROM to install it?

Thanks

hmm. im pretty surprised that flashing the zip in ruu mode didnt let you back out.

you clould try 2 things:

1)enter fastboot reboot-bootloader and see if that takes you to fastboot. if it does, chose bootloader then recovery

2)flash the firmware again(youll need to relock the bootloader :mad:) and this time enter fastboot flash zip firmware.zip a second time,after the pre-update fail(as the capn says,this is a typical response,and not really a failure)

maybe getting a successful flash message in ruu mode will let you out.

at that point,re-unlock the bootloader(should be able to reuse your previous unlock_code.bin) then reflash the recovery,then flash a small rom. :)

Upvote 0
I was able to load the Firmware, and able to load the recovery!!:smokingsomb:
Now I will try to load a ROM.

scotty85
CapThrowback
MikeStony

Thank you very much for all your time and help!! :D

Now the big question is which ROM do you recommend?

This is how the EVO 4G is right now:
*** UNLOCKED ***
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4593589/20140724_111054.jpg

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Oh that was all Scotty and the Cap't!! They lost me long ago, but I followed along :D

Kudos to yourself too for sticking with it!!!

As far as roms, my personal recommendation is Decks Reloaded!!
See in this list here for Decks and other roms!

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html

Just remember to make a nandroid backup before flashing anything! Now that you have a custom recovery, you can do that!! (I didn't read back thru the thread, but which recovery did you install?)

Upvote 0
It's alive! :p:D

Thank you guys!

Attachments

• 1406316583419.jpg
    1406316583419.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

Greetings Capt.
I am running into an identical problem as neofitox2 and was hoping you might be able to re-activate the firmware zip link from above. I appreciate your help and time with this.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones