• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One X Boot Loop

DrNefario

May 19, 2015
I wanted to add soft buttons to my phone, so I followed this guide. But when I rebooted my phone it wouldn't get past the HTC quietly brilliant boot screen. So I force powered off the device and held volume down and power. It then went to a screen with FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, SIMLOCK, SHOW BARCODE and IMAGE CRC as the options.

I chose RECOVERY, but it still wouldn't get past the HTC quietly brilliant boot screen. Then I chose FACTORY RESET and it got past the boot screen, then went black, then went straight to a down arrow with arrows in a circle around it above a phone. Then it went to the boot screen again and wouldn't get past that. I then tried leaving it off for five minutes, charging it to full, then leaving it off for another five minutes and turning it back on. After trying that a few times, to no avail, I tried following El Presidente's guide here. I noticed that a few things weren't available as options on my screen, but I still tried to follow the guide. So I connected it to my computer and did the commands, becasue they were the only things I could do, but they didn't seem to do anything, even though they succeeded.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

OK.

Let's start at the beginning.

You were rooted to edit that file - rooted how? HTCdev.com bootloader unlock?

What custom recovery did you use? TWRP, yeah?

Did you have TWRP installed before or after you got into this?

Did you make a nandroid backup before you started?

What version of Android or rom were you running when this happened?

Reactions: DrNefario
Upvote 0
Yeah.

I've worked on the One X with that mod as a developer before that tip was published. If you followed those instructions you may not have gotten what you wanted but it wouldn't be causing these problems.

Something else happened.

Using the methods you already know for accessing the phone with fastboot, please go to FASTBOOT USB mode and from your pc say -

fastboot getvar all

Copy / paste the results here, edit out your serial and MEID numbers for your protection.

You can get to the Edit menu to select all and copy in the command window by clicking on it and doing alt+space.

The output results may suggest the fastest path to a cure.

Some trial and error may be required.

We have a big time difference. I'll try to batch up instructions to offset the time difference - if I do and some step fails, don't proceed, discuss with me first. We don't want this getting worse.

Do you have a One XL from Telstra by any chance?

Or is it an unbranded One X?

This is also important - did you just root recently to try this mod, or did you root some time back?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Upvote 0
Get latest TWRP -

https://dl.twrp.me/endeavoru/twrp-2.6.3.0-endeavoru.img.html

Copy/move twrp-2.6.3.0-endeavoru.img to the same folder where you have fastboot installed.

Hold volume down while powering on, get to FASTBOOT, plug in to PC, it will go to FASTBOOT USB mode.

In command window open to folder containing fastboot -

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.0-endeavoru.img

(Copy/paste that to command window.)

It should say OKAY and transfer about 6 or 7 MB to the phone.

Then reboot the phone, volume down + power, go to RECOVERY from HBOOT - you should see the TWRP recovery now.

Get the Viper One X rom -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=50216103&postcount=2

The download is http://d-h.st/8gH and go to the SECOND link that says DOWNLOAD NOW.

That's Viper 4.1.1 but it's Android 4.2.2.

There are two ways you can try to install it. One depends a lot on your PC and it's either going to work or not. The other way always works.

Option 1 -

Place Viper rom in same folder as adb and fastboot.

TWRP, Advanced, adb sideload, swipe to activate.

Command window -

adb sideload ViperX_4.1.1.zip

It's hands free, and will either install or do nothing.

Option 2 -

Get an inexpensive OTG-USB cable. Put ViperX_4.1.1.zip on usb stick formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, and NOT NTFS.

In TWRP - plug in OTG-USB stick, wait for it to mount. If not, go to Mount menu.

TWRP, Install, choose the ViperX_4.1.1.zip - the Aroma installer should come up, choose to wipe everything.

~~~~~~~

This will get you a good set of mods via Venom Tweaks and you'll be rooted on an advanced rom.

Try out the button options you'll get in there.

After you have everything set up - long press power, boot into recovery, and in TWRP - choose Backup. Accept the defaults.

That's a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
Been posting from a hospital, family member not well.

I'll try to get your info later tonight from my desk.
Sorry to hear that, hope they get well soon.

So I followed the instructions and everything was working up to navigating to TWRP, Advanced, adb sideload, swipe to activate. I can't navigate with the touchscreen, and the volume rocker doesn't work for navigation either. The only thing that does work is the lock button, and it just locks it. Also, I'd like to mention that at the top it says S-ON. I heard that that might be bad for installing things.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
By seems to be working now I meant installing. So I left it installing at night, and when I came back it was on the ViperX setup. I completed the setup (choosing wipe), and it rebooted, but then it still wouldn't get past the logo. I tried again but the same thing happened. Any idea why?
Yeah, you're s-on so sometimes you have to install the kernel separately.

Open the Viper zip on your pc, extract the boot.img file - copy/move it to your fastboot folder.

Phone in FASTBOOT USB mode, command window say -

fastboot flash boot boot.img

When complete -

fastboot reboot

Upvote 0
Yeah, you're s-on so sometimes you have to install the kernel separately.

Open the Viper zip on your pc, extract the boot.img file - copy/move it to your fastboot folder.

Phone in FASTBOOT USB mode, command window say -

fastboot flash boot boot.img

When complete -

fastboot reboot
I did this, but now it's not stuck on the screen, but getting to it, then turning off and on again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones