• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I am getting data without adding a Simple Mobile APN...

Just got a new phone HTC ONE S.

When I put in my SIM card I was able to call, text, and I am getting 4G data.

I didn't have WIFI turned on.

Went to the "Mobile Data" settings and under APNs I have:

T-Mobile Data
epc.tmobile.com
T-Mobile MMS
epc.tmobile.com
I have not yet put in the SIMPLE Mobile APN. Yet I was surfing the internet presumably using the preset APN.

Now I just added SIMPLE Mobile APN and turned it on. But I am wondering, if I was getting data services without the SM APN settings, who's data services was I using? and does SM keeping track of it? :D

By the way those two tmobile APNs are locked, anyway to delete them?

Had a conversation with Solavei customer support (a different T-Mobile MVNO) and they mentioned they were having problems with people not entering the correct APN. Apparently T-Mobile "white lists" new phones on the network for some period of time so they work. After that handful of days, you get directed to a page where you are told that you need a T-Mobile data plan. So customers who didn't enter the proper APN suddenly thought their data didn't work and blamed Solavei.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones