• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I know it said a thousand times before..

I agree with @treb1797 - 3 years is about the average... 4 years is a heck of a run.

Phones have "planned obsolescence" built into them. They don't age well: and while Samsung has promised 7 years of upgrades and security patches for their newest phones, they also know full well that scant few people are going to keep the same phone that long. I mean, 7 years ago I had just purchased the Galaxy Note 8... which is primitive by today's standards. I may as well try to flash an Android 14 ROM on my Motorola Droid or Galaxy Nexus!

Besides, we know that all flash memory, from SD cards to internal memory to SSDs, have a life span measured in read/write cycles. Cell phones read and write a LOT of data, all the time. When that life span is reached, the device craps out and replacing a cell phone's memory module just isn't economical.

My other half is using an Oppo R11 bought 7 years ago. Still works perfectly, apps are supported. I have a Samsung Note20 Ultra I bought 3 years ago, still going no problems, and have no incentive to change at the moment. Quite frankly I still don't think there's anything about there that makes me want to buy a new phone. Also have a Huawei Mate10 that's 6 years old i sometimes still use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones