• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I messed up big time and I need your help

Before I start, please don't just respond to this thread saying how much of an idiot I am. I know this was unwise but it made sense at the time. With that

So I have a Motorola Triumph and I was trying to get Gingerbread on it so I could test apps I make in Unity (which only goes down to 2.3.1). Anyway I was following this tutorial and I followed along with the instructions until the "Installing a Custom ROM" section.

Now I didn't totally disregard the instructions at this point. In fact, I was trying to follow them until my phone was destroyed (read on). So it said I needed to download the ROM and then move the file to a folder on my phone's SD card or just download it directly to the phone. I tried the latter but the phone refused to download the file (CM7-TG-Reloaded) saying that the phone did not support the file type.

So I decided to take the former route and download it on my computer and then transfer it to the phone's SD card. The problem was that when I plugged my phone into my computer (iMac 2007 OS X Yosemite), it did not show up. I tried unplugging it and entering download mode and it did show up on my computer. I tried exiting download mode again (by removing battery) and plugging it in again. It did not show up so I went back into download mode and tried to drag in the CM7-TG-Reloaded ROM in the drive that came up (I guess the SD card???). When I tried, I got the following alert:
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 9.50.12 PM.png

This surprised me but it was understandable. So, because I'm not TOTALLY stupid, I duplicated the contents on the drive and then deleted in from the drive and tried dragging in the new ROM again. This is where everything when south.

I got the same alert again! Crap! But I was alright since I made a backup! Right? I tried dragging in THE SAME FILES I HAD JUST DELETED MOMENTS AGO and guess what?!
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 9.58.18 PM.png

CRAP! WHAT DO I DO?! HOW CAN THERE NOT BE ENOUGH SPACE FOR THE FILES THAT WERE THERE MOMENTS AGO????!!!!!!????!!!!???!!! HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

P.S. amss.mpn was the first item in the list so that is why it is in the alert.

Not enough free space means that you are out of space of phone's storage, Delete unnecessary files and big files, and also APK files then reflash them that CyanogenMod 7, If the problem still coming after you have to delete them, Wipe your data partition then download the CyanogenMod 7 directly on the phone.
The problem is that there is nothing on the sd card now. I took everything out after duplicating it and when things went south, I tried to put it back in but it wouldn't let me. Sorry if I was not clear.

Thanks for replying

Upvote 0
If you were rooted and deleted files from the /system partition, then the only option you're going to have is to reflash the firmware. If you can't find the factory firmware, you could still try Cyanogen.

Here's what I'd try. Install CWM custom recovery as explained in this thread. CWM should then allow you to mount your internal /sdcard partition, even if it's empty and connect via adb. Then push the CM rom to your phone and try to install it through CWM.

I can't guarantee it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones