• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Images on Engadget

On what? Phone?
It isn't so much ads as javascript and analytical services. I use NoScript on the computer and some sites won't budge if you don't allow Googleanalytics.

Other sites don't like private browsing and do not track. (Boat Browser has private browsing)

Just looked at PC site. Disabled everything but Engadget itself and it showed pictures. It wanted AOL CDN, Blogsmith media and weblogsinc. Ghostery showed Advertising.com and Optimizely. There could be almost anything else on the mobile site. Mobile can leave out stuff and the mobile page looks and acts nothing like the desktop version.
Can you set your browser as a desktop? If it works as a desktop, then there's a problem with the mobile site.

Upvote 0
Apparently the recent updates to the Engadget app have disabled images for those of us running adblockers.
Globally disabling the adblock just for this is not an acceptable solution, but it should be possible to fix it by whitelisting the appropriate server that hosts the images. Does anyone have this info?

I also don't see the images on Engadget - though that's not 100% as sometimes they "appear" ... hmmm. I use Naked Browser with Javascript allowed and no image blocking. I do use Adfree from BigTinCan though.

To be honest I'm not that bothered as it's the article that I'm interersted in - if the picture seems worth looking at I'l check later on the PC. But it'd be nice to know what's going on so I have the choice though ......

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones