• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Improving radio

MissDjinn

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I don't know how I get roped into these things. Im 'TFWGWC' (that friend who's good with computers), so I guess everyone thinks that Im good with anything with a power button, by default.

I have a bud who had had one of these Engage V8000 through Cricket for a few months. Her signal is butt-awful. (I tried to explain to her that you get what you pay for, but...)

I did some light googling and stumbled across several forum posts and tech articles talking about signal loss after OTA updates to 4.0.4. This phone was running 4.0.4 out of the box, so I don't know if my reasoning applies.

I read two fixes. One was root the thing, get SetCPU and change the minimum speed above 700mHz (the problem has something to do with the minimum speed dropping below that). The other was to root the thing and "flash a new radio."

I have never heard of this.

Anyone have any information? Im totally lost. I can root, flash a rom, poke around in it's guts a bit. I know what the phrase is telling me, but how does one do it, can I do it to this phone...etc?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones