• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In my day ...

I remember early Unix. Command line hell.
Got worse when people first started trying to use the Unix core for other systems without checking syntax compatibility.
Crud, what a nightmare.
I used a variety of commercial unixes in the 90s, and a variety of linux distros since then. I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro, where I still use the terminal (command line) as my primary interface (I currently have a number of them open, some for local tasks, some running software tests at a lab in Switzerland).

I regard any computer which only allows you to interact via a GUI as a toy. And anyway, navigating filesystems by hunting and clicking through icons is very much a case of "life is too short for that crap" ;). But yes, I try to use bash everywhere for consistency, though use zshell on some systems.

Upvote 0
I used a variety of commercial unixes in the 90s, and a variety of linux distros since then. I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro, where I still use the terminal (command line) as my primary interface (I currently have a number of them open, some for local tasks, some running software tests at a lab in Switzerland).

I regard any computer which only allows you to interact via a GUI as a toy. And anyway, navigating filesystems by hunting and clicking through icons is very much a case of "life is too short for that crap" ;). But yes, I try to use bash everywhere for consistency, though use zshell on some systems.

Most of my replies are made with my phone now. (Android) But I run Linux on my computer. I've never been fond of Micro Sucks. (Mac tech in the late 90's/ tested "Mac Mobil" {alpha and beta} which later became iOS)

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
380806630_335889529084287_7820846243194462334_n-jpg.548888

Upvote 0
I put everything I buy on a cash rewards credit card and pay it off and that end of the month. It's literally free money and safer than carrying cash.
My son does the same. I'm willing to bet that he has less than five bucks on him at any time. He pays most all of his bills with a cash back card. I'm just old school that has always been a cash guy. We have a credit card of some flavor but we never use it. It might be a cash back card.. I have no idea. I know there is no annual fee for having what I consider insurance.

Upvote 0
In my day I was given a nickel to play a record on the jukebox at our local diner. When the price per song went to a dime, my father no longer allowed that fun. Speaking of a nickel, it was a lot of buying power in my day. A local phonebooth call was nickel, a balsa wood airplane was a nickel, five baseball cards and a worthless sheet of gum was a nickel, and so was a soda. Everything was cheap but nickels were hard to come by.

Upvote 0
I'm going to go way back on this one, and it's kind of shocking, but humorous, at least to me. When I was a kid my dad played in an adult softball league. I was probably 4-6 years old, I don't remember exactly. What I do remember, quite vividly, was sitting in the bleachers with my grandfather. He would give me money to go to the stand (cars with coolers in the trunk) and get him a Budweiser and get me a Mellow Yellow. He probably only gave me a buck. I think back on that and think how things are now and just try to fathom me sending a little kid to go buy me a beer and I'm like WOW, but back then it was nothing to me.

Upvote 0
I had a friend that his dad had a hole in the wall beer joint. On Saturdays we would wipe down the tables and sweep the floor and he would draw us each a beer. We were in middle school. The few patrons thought nothing of it and we didn't either really. Seemed like a good way to spend an afternoon. It was a complete different time.

I rode my bike many a time to the grocery store to buy my mother a carton of lucky stikes. I was just a kid maybe ten at the most. No big deal.

Upvote 0
All that started changing in the 60's. By the end of the 70's one was hard pressed to see those things as common place.
I can remember some of it. I remember hauling grandad's beer and smokes from the lodge to the summer cabin he had (took all is grandkids there for the summer every year) 'bout a half mile distance one way. Crossing the river was easy though, as there was a pedestrian bridge that doubled as a partial dam for swimming right next to the paved ford.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones