• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inbound/Outbound Wifi calling

I'm currently on Cricket wireless. I have an unlocked Moto X4 andriod one phone. Of course since this is not a Cricket branded phone I can't use their wifi calling feature. My issue is that in some area's where I have absolutely no cell service I do have access to wifi. I do have a google voice number which is forwarded to my cell number and understand I can make just about any call using the wifi with various calling apps but I'm having issues receiving calls. I'm a bit confused about google voice app vs google duo app vs google hangouts app. As of today, the only way I can receive a call (via my google voice number) on my Moto X4 phone in areas that I have no cell reception but do have wifi is through the hangouts app/hangouts dialer. Will the google duo app or google voice app not allow someone to receive wifi calls when there is absolutely not cell recetion? I have tried both but not luck. I can call out but not receive calls. And getting another app (facebook messenger, whats app etc.) means both parties have to have it installed. Just curious. Thank you.

Just focusing on the Google Voice app (it's hard to nail down just what Google is doing with the Hangouts app or Hangouts service these days), it sounds like you need to enable Call Forwarding so your cellular service number that's linked to your Google Voice service and enabled on your Moto X4. Reading through this might help:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/23/...al-secondary-phone-number-voicemail-texts-sms

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones