• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Install On Thumbdrive

Borgward1

Lurker
Apr 26, 2020
I need to run Forscan. I have Linux Laptop. No Windows or Mac. I do have Fire 8 tablet, but not ready to get Forscan from Google Play.

Is it possible to install Android on a USB stick and boot to it from my laptop?

Dell Inspiron 1520. 4GB RAM. 1.7GHZ Intel Dual Core Processor.

Welcome to Android Forums, Borgward1! :)
I need to run Forscan.
What is that? I'm not familiar with its name.
I have Linux Laptop. No Windows or Mac.
Yay!! Me too! All my computers are Linux only. :D
I do have Fire 8 tablet, but not ready to get Forscan from Google Play.
Okay...so Forscan is an Android app... Why can't you run it on your tablet?
Hmmm...this brings us back to needing to know about Forscan. What's its purpose? It's an Android app, so I'm not clear on why your computer needs to be involved. :thinking:

As for what you're asking, installing Android on a stick and booting it from your computer...I don't know. I know that you can run Android on computers, but I've never done that myself, nor do I know if you can boot it from a stick.

Please clarify the things I've asked about, and we'll go from there.

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
I need to run Forscan. I have Linux Laptop. No Windows or Mac. I do have Fire 8 tablet, but not ready to get Forscan from Google Play.

What exactly do you mean by "not ready"? Have you actually tried it on your tablet? Is it incompatible or something?

Dell Inspiron 1520. 4GB RAM. 1.7GHZ Intel Dual Core Processor.

Yes, that is possible.
https://linuxbsdos.com/2015/03/26/android-on-a-stick-or-how-to-install-android-x86-on-a-usb-stick/
https://www.android-x86.org/installhowto.html

However I have no idea if it will fully support your Dell laptop or not, or if it that will work with FORScan for Android, because that does have quite specific hardware requirements. Also FORScan on Android is described as "Lite", so it may not do everything you require.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Borgward1! :)

What is that? I'm not familiar with its name.

Yay!! Me too! All my computers are Linux only. :D

Okay...so Forscan is an Android app... Why can't you run it on your tablet?

Hmmm...this brings us back to needing to know about Forscan. What's its purpose?
It's an Android app, so I'm not clear on why your computer needs to be involved. :thinking:

As for what you're asking, installing Android on a stick and booting it from your computer...I don't know. I know that you can run Android on computers, but I've never done that myself, nor do I know if you can boot it from a stick.

Please clarify the things I've asked about, and we'll go from there.

FYI :)
https://forscan.org/home.html
FORScan is a software scanner for Ford, Mazda, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, designed to work over ELM327 and J2534 Pass-Thru compatible adapters

If this will work on Android-x86 or not? Most likely not I think. The full version of this tool seems to be Windoze only.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, @mikedt!

I only realized I was on the Automotive board after I finished replying. :eek: :D That's because I came here via an alert, and didn't think to see which forum it was...

Well, no wonder I've never heard of FORScan--the last time I had something other than Toyota was...1984!

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Forscan Lite is not available on Fire 8 Apps. Have to get it from Google Play which means I have to do a lot to get out of Amazon's world to get stuff from Google Play. Looked complicated. Was warned that could cause problems with the Fire 8 Tablet.

Have been able to use Scantool on the Fire 8. Does a lot but not all Ford codes. Will try Forscan to see if it covers more stuff. Pretty impressed with the cheap Fire 8. Good bang for the buck. Manufactured by ASUS. Will move on to a better Android device in the future.

Upvote 0
Forscan Lite is not available on Fire 8 Apps. Have to get it from Google Play which means I have to do a lot to get out of Amazon's world to get stuff from Google Play. Looked complicated. Was warned that could cause problems with the Fire 8 Tablet.
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9"--but it never even occurred to me that you might be trapped in Amazon's ecosystem. :eek:

That's because I rooted mine, turning it into a normal Android tablet, complete with the Play Store and everything, and without the silly Kindle carousel...or whatever that UI was called.

Okay, so now I'm [more] up to speed.

Is your Fire your only Android device? It's been a really long time, but I know I side-loaded some apps onto my Kindle, getting the grave warning about it possibly causing problems. But--if I remember correctly--this was in the process of rooting it, so I needed what I needed, and disregarded its dire warnings. Nothing broke.

Let me ponder this a little more. Hopefully, someone else will provide some helpful info.

Upvote 0
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9"--but it never even occurred to me that you might be trapped in Amazon's ecosystem. :eek:

That's because I rooted mine, turning it into a normal Android tablet, complete with the Play Store and everything, and without the silly Kindle carousel...or whatever that UI was called.

Okay, so now I'm [more] up to speed.

Is your Fire your only Android device? It's been a really long time, but I know I side-loaded some apps onto my Kindle, getting the grave warning about it possibly causing problems. But--if I remember correctly--this was in the process of rooting it, so I needed what I needed, and disregarded its dire warnings. Nothing broke.

Let me ponder this a little more. Hopefully, someone else will provide some helpful info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones