• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing a 4.1+ JellyBean App on 4.0.x ICS

MOD: Please move thread if there is a better forum for it.

Hello all,

My device (Sprint LG Marqee LS-85) is rooted and running 4.0.x ICS on custom ROM.

I have an app that won't install (parse error) which i believe is because it is requires 4.1 JB (min sdk lvl 16). I don't know if the app will work properly on ICS but wanted to figure out a way to bypass this check and give it a try.

I have tried to edit the manifest in the app with the goal of changing the minsdk lvl but that has proven unsuccessful. I have tried APK Editor on the phone as well as APKTool 2.x and a few other apps on the PC. I am not sure if its decoding properly or encrypted. I am not even sure if I can simply edit the min sdk version in the Manifest and save or if it it is more involved and requires re-compiling the apk. Little lost in that area atm. Probably need to research more.

I switched gears and tried editing the build.prop and changing the device model and android version lvl to something newer but that didn't seem to help in installing the app. When I changed the sdk lvl from 15 to 16 the device booted but google play and gapps all crashed. The app installed but package installer crashed. I used adb to push the app to the phone and it successfully installed but when I tried to launch it it crashed. Seems everything is wonky having set the sdk level up to 16 from 15. I set it back to 15 and rebooted and phone was stable but now can't run the app. It is installed but just not visible.

Can any give me some advice or steer my in the right direction on which is the best course of action to try and get this Jellybean APP installed on ICS so I can see if it runs properly. Or is this a waste of time?

thanks for reading and in advance for any assistance.

-11th Doc

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones