• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal storage issue even with an external SD card

GreenAce92

Lurker
Aug 31, 2011
So this phone isn't mine. It is actually my mother's phone. I am attempting to help her and despite my presumed indepth knowledge of android devices, I am at a null.

The problem is, the internal storage says 9.** MB of free space however I can't install any applications even if they are 1.** MB, further any updates will not go through because "phone storage" is low.

She bought an 8gb external SD card today and supposedly the RadioShack people moved her applications for her however the phone is still low on space

I checked it out myself, I noticed that certain applications won't seem to move. Her phone is not rooted, I don't want to risk her phone (no offense meant, I rooted my Infuse and run a kernel at 1.8GHz)

When I want to move applications, the button "move to sd card" is grey-ed out.

I don't understand why the phone will not install apps if it supposedly has 9.** MB of free space if the apps were to be installed on the phone. Further the SD card only went down about 1% in space suggesting that the apps hardly moved although 8GB is alot and my mom isn't much of a tech person so she hardly installs anything on her phone.

Any suggestions? I think there is a problem with the phone.
But I don't know, I'm not used to it (It sucks (sorry) )

Any help would be appreciated.
Otherwise I'll let the RadioShack people deal with it and call myself "inadequate for the job"

Many apps won't work on the SD card, particularly those with Widgets. Also, I don't think that any preloaded apps will move.

I only have the Replenish because I already pay Sprint too much money, and didn't want to pay the extra $10 per month to actually use the data on the unlimited data plan I have. I won't get into the BS nickel and diming other than that comment. :) But, I may go with a "real" smart phone next time since I would like some actual functionality, even though I doubt that I would use the network much more, even after paying the $10 smart phone extortion (ok, one more comment :) )

I have 3 or 4 apps on the phone, plus the bloatware that comes on the phone, and call it good. For your mother, she may want to check out alternative apps that do allow for movement to the SD card (unless she is hooked on widgets).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones