• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] The HTC One root thread

You can use Helium to do an app/data backup before starting.

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the phone, so I'd recommend backing up first (there is a red warning about this in the first post of the thread).

Thanks for the suggestion. I meant more along the lines of full system backup of the stock ROM. I'm given to understand that I'll need that if I ever plan to go back/start over if I have any significant issues. Am I wrong about that? I'm essentially just trying to make sure I don't royally screw myself by not researching what I'm doing enough before attempting it and then finding myself totally out of my depth. Any help much appreciated.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Ok so I've finally worked up the cahones to give this a go, but I have a few final (haha probably not actually final ;) ) questions. Looking through the thread in its entirety, I've noticed all the issues with newer hboot versions and am wondering if I will still be able to get s-off through the solutions mentioned. It seems as though revone is out of the question, but rumrunner will still work, right? Also, more general query, how can I check to see what hboot variant I am on? I'm assuming I'm at least 1.55 given the comments earlier and that I'm yet to modify anything so I'm stock 4.4.2 at this point, but it seems like something that would be good to know in general. Additionally, assuming I succeed, once I am s-off would you guys recommend me downgrading to an older hboot as was also discussed earlier? Lots of questions, I know, and sorry if I am repeating anything from earlier. I tried to look through and make sure not top just repost things already discussed :)

Thanks in advance fellas

Update: I did some poking around and it looks like firewater (from the same guys who sourced rumrunner) works with getting s-off for all hboot up to 1.56. Anyone have any experience working with that?

Upvote 0
You can check your hboot version by booting into the bootloader (boot while pressing the volume down key). It tells you at the top of the screen.

No experience of firewater, because I did it back when revone still worked. But it doesn't look any more complicated than any other method, and seems to be the most effective method around at the moment from what I've read.

Upvote 0
Ok so I feel like I may be being overly cautious, but better safe than sorry. I'm through the htcdev process and I'm preparing to flash the custom recovery. Downloaded the file noted earlier. My question is about the supersu file I will have to use after flashing twrp. In post #1 it says I should look for "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip" but I see no such file on the page the link directs me to. Am I just not looking correctly, or should I be using a different version now given the time between the original post and now?

More to the point, having done some more looking around, can I just use the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip" file? I'm assuming that this is functionally the same, just a newer version? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Haha I think it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm new to this. I kinda skipped over the "you will need to download the newest superSU from the thread as i described in the download section,and use the recovery menus to flash it." with emphasis on newest ;) SuperSU now shows up in my apps, so I think I got it figured out. Thanks for the clear and informative thread.

Upvote 0
Ok so I feel like I may be being overly cautious, but better safe than sorry. I'm through the htcdev process and I'm preparing to flash the custom recovery. Downloaded the file noted earlier. My question is about the supersu file I will have to use after flashing twrp. In post #1 it says I should look for "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip" but I see no such file on the page the link directs me to. Am I just not looking correctly, or should I be using a different version now given the time between the original post and now?

More to the point, having done some more looking around, can I just use the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip" file? I'm assuming that this is functionally the same, just a newer version? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Haha I think it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm new to this. I kinda skipped over the "you will need to download the newest superSU from the thread as i described in the download section,and use the recovery menus to flash it." with emphasis on newest ;) SuperSU now shows up in my apps, so I think I got it figured out. Thanks for the clear and informative thread.

Hi, Although I am new to this HTC One forum I am fully competent regards rooting etc. The latest SuperSu.zip from Chainfire can be downloaded from here SuperSU Download - as you can see it's currently version 1.93. I'll probably be spending more time around here awaiting delivery of my One in a day or so.

I used to have the original Desire some 4+ years ago (rotted and S-off at that time), but am coming from a Galaxy Note 2, so certain aspect of the procedures are quite different, i.e. having to S-off to get the full benefit.

I hope I am not too rusty with HTC devices. One quick question to thise who are experienced with the One is, should I S-off prior to flashing custom recovery?

Upvote 0
Rumrunner should work on 4.4 as long as you can unlock the bootloader and install superuser. In some cases you may need also a custom rom with an insecure kernel.

Firewater should work as well,and has been stated,may work on a completely stock device,giving the luxury of not submitting your personal info to HTC to keep on file that you are a bootloader unlocked ;)

Rumrummer is possibly a bit easier on the user,but much trickier to run on a windows pc(enuff so I'd recomend running it from an ubuntu live cd)

Firewater is just some adb commands and should be a little less tempermental with OS parameters,you just need working adb.

I personally would try firewater. Just to make sure you don't have driver issues or other program interference issues,I'd consider running it on ubuntu as well.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: heat57 and Hadron
Upvote 0
Ok guys, I'm having some serious difficulty. So I got everything done yesterday and flashed a nightly of CM 11, but there were a few things that were bugging me so I decided I'd go back to the stock nandroid backup I made initially, as per the instructions provided in this thread. Once I did that, when I went to restore my apps with titanium backup it got through the process and said a reboot was recommended. However, when I rebooted, I got stuck in a boot loop with the message "the process com.system.androidui has stopped". I booted into fastboot, got to recovery, reflashed the nandroid backup after a full system wipe, and tried the whole process again to the same effect. Any idea how to fix this? I'm kinda losing my mind right now and currently have an essentially unusable device.

Upvote 0
Try just restoring the nandroid.

A nandroid backs up apps and data as well as the ROM, so if you restore that you restore the lot. Hence you should not need to restore apps from Titanium afterwards.

The message about rebooting only occurs if you restore system apps from Titanium. So if you use it to transfer apps & data between ROMs, the trick is not to restore system apps or system data. Restoring user apps and their data between ROMs is fine, but system settings tend to be incompatible if the ROMs are not very similar, so restoring system data from a different ROM often causes problems like this.

If the backup was made with the same ROM then it should be fine to restore system stuff, so I'm guessing you backed something up while running CM11?

Upvote 0
Try just restoring the nandroid.

A nandroid backs up apps and data as well as the ROM, so if you restore that you restore the lot. Hence you should not need to restore apps from Titanium afterwards.

The message about rebooting only occurs if you restore system apps from Titanium. So if you use it to transfer apps & data between ROMs, the trick is not to restore system apps or system data. Restoring user apps and their data between ROMs is fine, but system settings tend to be incompatible if the ROMs are not very similar, so restoring system data from a different ROM often causes problems like this.

If the backup was made with the same ROM then it should be fine to restore system stuff, so I'm guessing you backed something up while running CM11?

Absolutely right on all counts. I did things a bit out of order I think and just did nandroid backup of my stock ROM immediately after rooting and then flashed CM11 straightaway, then did titanium backup after getting everything set back up in CM11 rather than the reverse. So I must have been trying to restore CM11 system apps into stock. Thanks for the help.

On a related note, within titanium backup, is there a way to only select user apps as a batch or will I have to go in and choose those apps manually to restore?

Edit: After doing some digging about TB and looking up all the batch commands, I think I have gotten it figured out.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Well when I found firewater initially, I read the whole thread and it seemed like most people's problems were coming from the temproot method so I just went ahead with the htcdev unlock/root first method. It looked like people were saying that the temproot method didn't work for hboot 1.56 and the devs came out and said they didn't plan on doing any more work to help people who didn't want to do just root first, so I figured might as well not risk it.

Reactions: scotty85 and Hadron
Upvote 0
I also did a getvar just to see what is up so i'll post it.
(bootloader) product: jewel

Any advice?
Firstly, please edit your post and remove the IMEI - best not to leave those public on the web.

But most importantly, are you sure it's a HTC One developer's edition? Because "jewel" is the codename of the EVO 4G LTE, which is a different phone.

Edit: Ah, after a refresh I see that you spotted this too!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones