• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 15 will have USB-C

Leaks by 9 to 5 Mac are showing that the iPhone 15 Pro will have USB-C. Following in Android's footsteps as usual!

Article summary:
"The upcoming iPhone 15 Pro is expected to have significant changes in design and features, according to exclusive renders obtained by 9to5Mac. The CAD files used for the renders were provided by a reliable case manufacturer and 3D artist, and show a switch from the Lightning port to USB-C, a more curved frame and glass edges, and a thicker camera bump with larger image sensors. The volume rockers and mute switch also appear to be redesigned. The renders are based on an early CAD model and may not reflect all aspects of the final design."
iphone-15-pro-hero.jpg
iphone-15-pro-cad-fi-1.jpg

Reactions: AugieTN
Yes, by construction corporations care only about maximising returns to shareholders. As I understand it under US law that's all they are allowed to care about, as long as they don't break any laws. Any other "values" they claim are most likely an attempt to make themselves more attractive to customers or deter further legal constraints on their actions, both of which can be seen as serving the prime directive (returns to shareholders).

But what are the manufacturers supposed to do when they aren't penalised for removing a feature? They try it, sales don't tank (or even increase), so they go ahead. Others see that it works for them and do the same thing. Before long customers don't even have a choice. And of course the choice of a phone involves many factors, so if you are happy with Samsung phones (and they all spend big money on promoting brands to encourage that thinking) and they remove one feature (e.g. seal the back of the device) and you need a new phone, then it's not surprising if a fair few decide to overlook that one feature and stick with the brand they are familiar with. Heck, in markets where many people upgraded every 2 years because that was how long a contract was and at the end they were offered a new subsidised handset those people may never have bought a replacement battery, so the idea of a bigger batters in a thinner device might look like a good deal to them. And then 2 years later the question no longer arises because that's what all manufacturers are doing.

But phones are mass-produced products, so they aren't going to be made by small businesses. All but niche manufacturers will be corporations, just because of the scale required (number of devices to be made, materials to procure, sales, distribution, marketing, support, all on an international scale). And that means that you will inevitably face the problem that large corporations sell to the mass market in whatever way is most cost effective, which will include where possible steering the "mainstream" towards what works best for them. And, as almost all of the big tech companies are guilty of to some degree, suppressing competition because that's simpler and cheaper than actually competing (the old "copy them if they aren't established, buy them if they are" playbook that Microsoft used in the 90s and Facebook in the 2010s comes to mind, though the way scaling and networking effects work in some sectors they don't even have to try hard to maintain a lead once it reaches a certain size - but now I really am digressing!).

As for phones by small businesses, if it weren't for my aversion to phones > 7cm wide I'd buy myself a Fairphone. I'm sure they aren't offering monthly security updates, but they do software support for up to 7 years, which exceeds any of the big Android manufacturers by a good margin. And you can just swap the battery yourself with little effort. Though even they have now given up on the headphone jack, probably because the number of people for whom that's a requirement is very small now since only Sony seem to still cater for them and so most will have adapted already (pun intended).

Upvote 0
I still can't tell you what USB-C is a solution to. Idiots who can't properly plug in a Micro USB cable? It's been nothing but headaches (mostly charging issues) on the few devices I tried using with it.

I'll stick with Micro USB. It works every time. You plug it in with the little USB logo facing up, btw.

All this change for the sake of change is tiresome. I want innovation to come back like we had from 2009-14. When OEMs were actually making upgrades instead of feature removals and changing USB again without the consumer demand for it
wat. USB C is infinitely better, not only in speed, but power delivery, reliability, and especially durability.

Upvote 0
The gripe I had against the Fairphone isn't that it was too wide, but that it would never work here in America. They never made it possible to have compatibility with U.S. bands, even before VoLTE became mandated. I will say they definitely shot themselves into the foot over that one.

But what about the times we actually had competition? What happened to Meego? It looked quite ahead of its time in 2011 (it honestly looked like 2020 UI design). What about WebOS? We all know HP had an illegal hand in killing that one. Why exactly do corporations get away with crime? They actively create monopolies and I was taught in high school Economics that a monopoly is illegal. Also there's the fact that less competition = less innovation. Are we in favor of a homogenized world?

Also, where are the companies to cater to the many who still favor a physical, perhaps sliding keyboard over a touch one? I mean we had a small time when Fxtec tried, but did it ever come to pass?

Perhaps I just don't understand how a Linux distro that caters to those who still love KDE 3 (Q4OS) can exist but not one manufacturer can make one smartphone that checks all those boxes (smaller display, removable battery, headphone jack, etc)

USB-C will always be change for the sake of change. I had nothing short of trouble with it for the most basic of functions (charging a device). I don't care about speed of charging as I'm sure me and most people plug their phone in each night before bed and it's gonna be charged fully by morning anyway. Today I rely on wireless charging to avoid all the issues it caused me. NEVER had an issue with Micro USB but I am not stupid and know how to plug it in right. (little USB icon goes up btw)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The gripe I had against the Fairphone isn't that it was too wide, but that it would never work here in America. They never made it possible to have compatibility with U.S. bands, even before VoLTE became mandated. I will say they definitely shot themselves into the foot over that one.
Fairphone 3 and 4 both support VoLTE. US network compatibility I don't know about, as you have a different mix of frequencies from most of the world (and used to have different technologies, though that's disappearing now). It's probably more expensive for a small outfit to cover all of that, though as kit with wider band support becomes more standard that may be easier now. Indeed apparently there's some outfit planning on reselling the Fairphone 4 in the US, but with their own OS on it...

The US is a large market, but it's far from the largest market for phones. So if there are extra costs involved in covering it not everyone is going to find it worth doing. The fact that some ultra-controlling providers there restrict what phones people can use even when they are technically compatible will make it less attractive as well. If a manufacturer chooses not to cover the US it isn't necessarily shooting themselves in the foot, it may just be that they don't think it's worth the cost of doing so.
But what about the times we actually had competition? What happened to Meego? It looked quite ahead of its time in 2011 (it honestly looked like 2020 UI design). What about WebOS? We all know HP had an illegal hand in killing that one. Why exactly do corporations get away with crime? They actively create monopolies and I was taught in high school Economics that a monopoly is illegal. Also there's the fact that less competition = less innovation. Are we in favor of a homogenized world?
I won't comment on whether HP's shutting down of WebOS (or selling/licensing to some TV manufacturer) was actually illegal, because I don't know. If your argument is that HP, who aren't in the phone business at all these days, acted illegally by withdrawing from it, you'll find that a difficult one to make stick. Buying a company for one asset, ditching the rest of the company, and then failing to make anything of the asset, is a very common story. As for monopolies, all I can say is that the US used to know how to deal with those, but both the laws and the will to use them seem to have been weakened over the last 40 years.

But what happened to those OS's? Fundamentally the same as what happened to Windows Phone: the phone market is low margin for most players, and a niche operating system can only survive with very low costs (usually by running on someone else's hardware and with app compatibility with a bigger platform). Even then try finding a Sailfish device these days, for example.
Also, where are the companies to cater to the many who still favor a physical, perhaps sliding keyboard over a touch one? I mean we had a small time when Fxtec tried, but did it ever come to pass?
Manufacturing, distribution, marketing etc costs money. If not enough people are prepared to pay a high enough price you go out of business. Bluntly, the market for those things wasn't big enough for the companies the make a profit from making them.

(I've just been given an old Psion Series 5 that a friend was clearing out. Lovely little thing, small enough you can fit it in a coat pocket and a keyboard you can actually type on. But it will be a real struggle to find a use for it, since it had no comms port that any computer from the last 15-20 years can talk to and I suspect I'd have to emulate Windows 95 for its software to run...).
Perhaps I just don't understand how a Linux distro that caters to those who still love KDE 3 (Q4OS) can exist but not one manufacturer can make one smartphone that checks all those boxes (smaller display, removable battery, headphone jack, etc)
Sony give you some of that: their displays are long, but they do make models that are traditional phone sized in width, they have headphone jacks, they even have SD slots and notification LEDs, though not removable batteries. But they survive catering to a niche in a large part by charging noticably more than competitors for similar specs (their brand probably helps them get away with that), and I think have very little presence in the USA.
USB-C will always be change for the sake of change. I had nothing short of trouble with it for the most basic of functions (charging a device). I don't care about speed of charging as I'm sure me and most people plug their phone in each night before bed and it's gonna be charged fully by morning anyway. Today I rely on wireless charging to avoid all the issues it caused me. NEVER had an issue with Micro USB but I am not stupid and know how to plug it in right. (little USB icon goes up btw)
Here we have to agree to differ: I don't care about phone charging speed, but USB-C can also charge my laptop so I do have a use for the higher power, and I've never had any of the problems that you seem to have. And every single connector change has had someone call it change for change's sake.

Upvote 0
My laptop and all laptops I've owned except for a MacBook Pro all charged with simple barrel plugs attached to a portable AD/DC power brick. The Mac of course being Apple had to be different for the sake of being different, not exactly practical, and only used USB-C to charge (which ALWAYS had to be plugged in twice!). But it used an even worse standard, MagSafe before that, so in Apple's case it probably worked out better they used USB-C for the later MacBooks, although a barrel plug, with its strain relief and ability to spin around in the port as opposed to bending with stress, is a superior design. I would argue that the old Nokia phones relying on barrel plugs was also a superior design and would have taken little space on a modern, larger Android phone today.

As for what killed Windows Phone, well, a lot of things happened. Google actively acted hostile towards it by not only stopping support for their apps, the literally pulled them off the Microsoft app store, and blacklisted the ones already installed from running at all on phones that had them. I would call that being a baby, a dick, and of course despite how superior the offline navigation of HERE maps is, people are sadly sold off on the whole 'It must be GOOGLE MAPS or GTFO' and they love Google a bit too much. Without their beloved Google apps, Windows Phone had zero chance. That was Google being a argumentative little spoiled child who couldn't get their way, and decided to actively KILL competition, again, illegal.

I unfortunately never understood what happened to Meego or Symbian though. For their time they were quite popular, and tons of folks had N95s with a ton of homebrew stuff that would rival even a modern Android phone today. However, we need more than Samsung vs. Pixel, and more than Apple vs. Android. That's not enough competition and therefore a lot less choice left. I will always lament the loss of variety and choices we had in 2009-10, we never knew how good we had it!

The last Sony Xperia phone I ever saw (And bought) was a Xperia L2. That ran Android 8.0, and of couse still had wonky USB-C, but worse is it had zero wireless charging. It didn't have a multicolour LED for notification, its UI was as bland as ever (and unfortunately, just swapping launchers and a few apps and icons ain't enough, there was no theme store that can go all into the system like a Samsung today), and had a poor camera. I haven't seen one since. There's a ton of fake Nokia models around (in name only, just like a modern "Zenith" appliance) and crap-tastic Motorolas (Motorola in name only too), and Blu, which is bottom of barrel crap (when all the displays are either frozen, or have recovery running and also frozen, bootlooping, and one with vertical lines on the LCD, well, I can honestly see why they're $39 each) the only real competition is between Samsung, Google Pixel (who even makes those anyway?) and Apple.

I do remember a rather hilarious ad placed next to a Sharp Aquos Crystal a few years ago. Citing it as the first "Zero Bezel" smartphone. I mean dude, the damned thing had a huge bezel on the bottom of the damned phone! It wasn't fooling anyone! If that thing was zero bezel then what was the Galaxy S8 then?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones