• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone interested in this bad boy?

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
This phone comes out in the Spring, but I must admit this phone intrigues me. I'm not a fan of 5G.. Why? Because I can't find it ANYWHERE!!!! :)

On the other hand, did you see the size of this battery? Man! 5k mAh should last me a full day, hopefully! (I'm a phone hog).

I'd love to hear impressions of anyone who has this monster and if you have been able to use 5g, when the phone comes out Thanks!

Last edited:
I must admit this phone intrigues me. I'm not a fan of 5G.. Why? Because I can't find it ANYWHERE!!!! :)

On the other hand, did you see the size of this battery? Man! 5k mAh should last me a full day, hopefully! (I'm a phone hog).

I'd love to hear impressions of anyone who has this monster and if you have been able to use 5g. Thanks!

I bet you'll start seeing reviews online, but the masses (us regular people) don't get it yet. Press release LG just posted says 'next month'

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of 5G.. Why? Because I can't find it ANYWHERE!!!!
I had this exact feeling about LTE when I got my GNex. It was nowhere in my area, with no estimate of when it would arrive. Then one day a few weeks after I got the phone VZW lit up the airways in my area and I was real happy I had a phone capable of using it.

Upvote 0
I had this exact feeling about LTE when I got my GNex. It was nowhere in my area, with no estimate of when it would arrive. Then one day a few weeks after I got the phone VZW lit up the airways in my area and I was real happy I had a phone capable of using it.

In my area, 4G came more quickly. The Northeast Corridor. Even in NYC (Manhattan) It's nowhere to be found. Oh well. One day... maybe.

Upvote 0
In my area, 4G came more quickly. The Northeast Corridor. Even in NYC (Manhattan) It's nowhere to be found. Oh well. One day... maybe.

Fair, but I'm way less optimistic on 5G, especially at first. With horrible building penetration, it will be a thing in certain public spaces, where the signal can reach. Love that it being widely available is a thing coming, but as reviewers seem to agree, do NOT get a phone for it's 5G capabilities.

Upvote 0
Fair, but I'm way less optimistic on 5G, especially at first. With horrible building penetration, it will be a thing in certain public spaces, where the signal can reach. Love that it being widely available is a thing coming, but as reviewers seem to agree, do NOT get a phone for it's 5G capabilities.
Yeah, like the G-Nex, 5G isn't the reason I'm getting this. I just checked my MVNO and surprisingly, no 5G anywhere, but they probably aren't buying 5G service from T-Mo.

T-Mo's map has some spotty coverage around me, but I doubt I'll a) be able to connect (see MVNO above) or b) actually notice if I did. If I do get connected, I may have to go to an unlimited plan because I'd just leave WiFi off.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Horrible building penetration... No coverage. What's the big deal about 5G then? I do most of my phoning INside. How is 5G going to replace cable internet? This is troubling.
My understanding is that 5G consists of huge quantities of small antennae that don't need centralized systems for routing data, or something like that.

Upvote 0
Horrible building penetration... No coverage. What's the big deal about 5G then? I do most of my phoning INside. How is 5G going to replace cable internet? This is troubling.

My understanding is that 5G consists of huge quantities of small antennae that don't need centralized systems for routing data, or something like that.

If they can wire *into* your house, or extend close enough to then get a 'hotspot' in your house maybe it is fine.

But also what UF said. There is a lot it does well, but other things WAY worse. Let me find that MKBHD vid...

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
The part that video didn't cover, and I think one of the ways 5G gains some of its speed, is that data doesn't get sent back to central hubs to get routed where it needs to go, but that each node does the routing on its own, so that it not only travels faster, but in a more direct route. I understand it like airlines. For Delta, you always flew from where you were going to Atlanta, connected to another flight, and went to your destination (4G) where now you would fly direct from your departure city to the destination city (5g).

Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding it, or misstating it, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I bought my Note 10+ that is 5G capable. I live in doodah Kansas. I think the KC area has some or will soon have some 5G . The chances of getting it around here are slim to none. 5G was not a selling point for my Note. Some consumers might be looking for a 5G phone but most are more interested in the faster processors and larger internal storage of the flagships. They know that 5G is likely a ways off and might be a factor on the next phone purchase... not this one. Manufacturers tend to bundle the top flight features together and to get the best tech you also get 5G.

Upvote 0
I bought my Note 10+ that is 5G capable. I live in doodah Kansas. I think the KC area has some or will soon have some 5G . The chances of getting it around here are slim to none. 5G was not a selling point for my Note. Some consumers might be looking for a 5G phone but most are more interested in the faster processors and larger internal storage of the flagships. They know that 5G is likely a ways off and might be a factor on the next phone purchase... not this one. Manufacturers tend to bundle the top flight features together and to get the best tech you also get 5G.

Interested? Yes.

Do i have the money for it? Nope.

However, LG phone prices drop fairly quickly.

And it sounds like it would be worth owning, especially after price drops. Though I'm more and more intrigued by the OnePlus line of phones.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
... On the other hand, did you see the size of this battery? Man! 5k mAh should last me a full day, hopefully! (I'm a phone hog).

So after doing a data transfer to get precious V30 phone over to this one, I found the battery was pretty unimpressive. Several people have discovered this, so I did a factory reset and now the battery is soooo sweet. Obviously your usage will vary but I've been using it all day (email, texting, videos, browsing, making live wallpaper, etc) and my battery is 43% and it's 7:06pm. I love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones