• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is Razr M rootable?

Rigit

Dec 14, 2012
I've tried rooting this thing with motochopper several times. At the end it says failed rebooting phone. My phone reboots and I'm not rooted. Is there another way? Motorola has an unlock program where you request an unlock code for the bootloader but the list of supported phones is short. The razr m is there but only the developers addition. I need to root this phone because I have issues with the tether not working for my tablets and rooting may help me fix that and lots of cool stuff but only if you're rooted.

I tried that and it failed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I extracted the zip file to the C drive. There are a handful of folders and samuriHL_downgrade I ran the samuriHL_downgrade following the numbers. But step 3 is root via motochopper and it still fails. I'm feeling more and more scrwd here.
One more thing. It says for the first step push 98.15.66 update to SD card. My phone says 98.16.3.xt907.verizon.en.us I don't know if that means anything or not. Build number is 9.8.1Q-78-1 by the looks of it 9.8.1 is what I want.

I did the above link again only this time in fastboot mode. That worked. I'm now rooted. However, when I did the protect root and then reinstalled the update I lost root. I've rooted again and I've not installed the update and I'm a bit nervous about doing it. I likely will and just see what happens. Wish there was a way to unlock the bootloader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones