• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Spotify using up my Data?

I am on a $40 5GB plan. Metro advertises free music streaming. I currently have 10% data remaining.
Most apps account for 300-400 MB except for Spotify. I listen to podcasts recently and it has used up 3GB. Do podcasts count as audio? It does not have video included.

That's presumably the streaming music services that Metro has partnered with to not count on your data plan. Podcasts on the other hand can be streamed and/or downloaded from pretty much any service anywhere, that are NOT partnered with the carrier, and so will definitely use up your 5GB data plan.

Maybe check with Metro as to what particular services are and aren't included.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Of course! It will use your data when you are listening to Spotify music, especially for you are using a free account.
Although it's a free streaming music service, it only allows you to listen to them online.
If you subscribed to its premium plan, you can download them offline when you are under WiFi connection.
Don't want to pay for that, you can choose to install AudFree Spotify Music Converter to download and convert Spotify music offline and then it's also available for using Spotify without using data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones