• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this legal?

I would like to know why and how U. S. Cellular representatives have talked customers such as myself into upgrading and purchasing new phones from them, knowing full well that these devices were going to be useless in a few short months? I've purchased 2 new phones from us cellular in the last 5 months... I had heard rumors of the future sprint buyout and spoke with the us cellular agent about it... She confirmed the rumors with me.... Yet still sold me 2 new galaxy's... Never mentioning the the devices weren't going to be compatible with Sprint... and I basically handed us cellular a good amount of money for nothing! Maybe that was my own fault for not researching the facts more before the purchase... However I do think any merchandise sales made by Us Cellular in the last 6 months or more is at the very least unethical and in my opinion criminal. Even more disturbing... I was just on the phone with a Us Cellular agent less than two weeks ago concerning a bill question... and she tried to talk me into using my 'points' to move up an upgrade for my son to purchase a new phone with them!! This was only two weeks before I recieved the letter that my new devices will soon be useless!!! Like I said unethical.... Basically theft and attempt at more theft.... How is this a legal business practice??

I would like to know why and how U. S. Cellular representatives have talked customers such as myself into upgrading and purchasing new phones from them, knowing full well that these devices were going to be useless in a few short months? I've purchased 2 new phones from us cellular in the last 5 months... I had heard rumors of the future sprint buyout and spoke with the us cellular agent about it... She confirmed the rumors with me.... Yet still sold me 2 new galaxy's... Never mentioning the the devices weren't going to be compatible with Sprint... and I basically handed us cellular a good amount of money for nothing! Maybe that was my own fault for not researching the facts more before the purchase... However I do think any merchandise sales made by Us Cellular in the last 6 months or more is at the very least unethical and in my opinion criminal. Even more disturbing... I was just on the phone with a Us Cellular agent less than two weeks ago concerning a bill question... and she tried to talk me into using my 'points' to move up an upgrade for my son to purchase a new phone with them!! This was only two weeks before I recieved the letter that my new devices will soon be useless!!! Like I said unethical.... Basically theft and attempt at more theft.... How is this a legal business practice??

welcome to AF!!!!!!

i moved you to the us cellular forum, since that is what you would like to discuss.

i think that most of the time when phone companies like sprint buys or merges with another, they do it so that they can acquire the other's phone spectrum so i believe that your phone should be ok, once the merger actually happens.

Upvote 0
welcome to AF!!!!!!

i moved you to the us cellular forum, since that is what you would like to discuss.

i think that most of the time when phone companies like sprint buys or merges with another, they do it so that they can acquire the other's phone spectrum so i believe that your phone should be ok, once the merger actually happens.

He claims he received a letter stating they would not work.

Upvote 0
This was only two weeks before I recieved the letter that my new devices will soon be useless!!! Like I said unethical.... Basically theft and attempt at more theft.... How is this a legal business practice??

Did the letter actually say your phones would no longer function?

I have a hard time believing they would stop service immediately after a buy out. Usually it's phased out over a long period of time.

Check with US Cellular and verify exactly what's happening.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
This is actually the first I've heard of this

I will admit, when we upgraded my wife from an S2 to the Note 3, the trade in policy wasn't fully explained (they said $50, we got almost nothing because of "bad battery". Phone was shipped to them during that really nasty cold snap)

Would seem odd that we haven't gotten any notice of problems coming up, though: any other USC customers heard about ceasation of service after the buyout?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones