• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root JB 4.1.2 OTA Update Instructions!!!! Fat Lady Sings

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
Boost Mobile HTC One SV and ZTE Warp Sequent Getting Jelly Bean Next Week | Prepaid Phone News

I'll see it when I see it :rolleyes: lol, finallyyy. Now we all just need to gather and pray that it causes no new bugs and that they actually release the kernel source without us threaten a lawsuit.
It's the only damn thing I'm waiting to start working on Megatron for it.

Update Instructions

When you get the ota update allow it to download the update but do not allow it to flash the update. Use a root explorer and COPY the update zip from /cache and place it on your sdcard
Reboot recovery
WIPE DATA "if you do not wipe data your phone will be stuck at the boot animation"
Install the zip from your sdcard "takes about 3-6 Mins"
go to the main menu of cwm and hit reboot
CWM will tell you that a new recovery will be flash would you like to disable it select yes
your phone will reboot and be up and running with 2-3 minutes.

download this Root.zip reboot to cwm and flash it. After that, go back to the main menu of cwm and hit reboot. BEFORE you reboot cwm will ask you if you want to fix root (/system/bin/su) go down to yes, your phone will now reboot and you should be rooted on 4.1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372946738921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372946738921.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0
Remember, to get the ota you must return to stock completely! Stock recovery, stock kernel, stock b09 system. If i get the OTA early i can easily get OTA zip and post it for everyone to update to. Maybe a few hours after i do that i'll root the update and upload the stock root JB 4.1 for B0"10 i would guess since the numbers are always in order lol".

Upvote 0
make sure you do us all a favor and check the update itself first, if its a full on update and not just a patch we may be able to use the ota zip itself, modified of course ;)

if not, fastboot recovery installation method should get you up and running with cwm, and then from there its simple, i wouldnt necessarily attempt the same root method unless absolutely necessary or you have cwm first

im not the leading expert so you are free to do what you like but id say the best course of action is...

run the fastboot method of installing cwm, making sure to check that the bootloader isnt locked down of course
then after making a good backup of the rom as is run the root tool to see if it works, that way if it breaks something you can recover
if it doesnt work there is always a generic flashable zip that will work through cwm but it would be helpful to know if the root method we have in place actually works

Upvote 0
make sure you do us all a favor and check the update itself first, if its a full on update and not just a patch we may be able to use the ota zip itself, modified of course ;)

if not, fastboot recovery installation method should get you up and running with cwm, and then from there its simple, i wouldnt necessarily attempt the same root method unless absolutely necessary or you have cwm first

im not the leading expert so you are free to do what you like but id say the best course of action is...

run the fastboot method of installing cwm, making sure to check that the bootloader isnt locked down of course
then after making a good backup of the rom as is run the root tool to see if it works, that way if it breaks something you can recover
if it doesnt work there is always a generic flashable zip that will work through cwm but it would be helpful to know if the root method we have in place actually works

Yeah I was gonna do the fastboot method and root via cwm flashable root zip. Back it up and remove the flash stock recovery script from /system IF it exist in the update. Then create the whole thing in a flashable zip. I guess I might as well try using the root tool as well to see if it works. I'll be rolling back from my personal ROM to complete stock b09 early Sunday in preparation for the OTA.

Upvote 0
sounds like a plan, kuz i just basically need to figure out if ill have to add a getprop clause to the thing, i dont want people breaking their phones with my tool so if the current root method does in fact cause the rom to fail or just doesnt work ill make it so that instead of using the old method i can at least make it not work on that version of the rom and give instructions on how to get the zip file

Upvote 0
sounds like a plan, kuz i just basically need to figure out if ill have to add a getprop clause to the thing, i dont want people breaking their phones with my tool so if the current root method does in fact cause the rom to fail or just doesnt work ill make it so that instead of using the old method i can at least make it not work on that version of the rom and give instructions on how to get the zip file

Yup better add it if it breaks it, worst case scenario would be a bootloop right?

Upvote 0
if anyone gets the update OTA before me, when you get the notification for the update make sure its downloaded already but dont allow the phone to reboot and flash the update. when the Update is download use a file epxlorer and navigate to /cache and the Update should be there in a zip file, copy it to your sdcard and upload it here please. thank you

Reactions: boricuakiller
Upvote 0
I learned a way to force an update.

1. Go to settings, then apps, then all, then find Google Services Frameworks
2. Force Stop Google Services Framework
3. Go to settings, then system update
4. Check firmware update or ZTE software
5. Get the update!

Hopefully it works! Whenever any of you guys get it first, let us no so we can force the update.

Reactions: cpberndt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones