• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just ordered one of these... GPS and other questions please!

redfishsc

Oct 10, 2011
Living room
I just ordered one of these on Ebay. I plan on using it as a general app machine, not as a phone. It won't be activated.

My question is this--- regarding the GPS-- If I were to purchase one of the map system apps, will the GPS work on this phone like a normal GPS?...... Since I won't have any 3G/4G or voice connection.

Also---- I read a spec that says this thing holds a "mini-SIM". The Ebay ad said nothing about a SIM.

Am I safe in assuming that this mini-SIM (if it even has one) won't be needed just to run it as an app machine? In other words, will the phone power up and run without it, or will I get annoying "insert SIM" messages?

I just ordered one of these on Ebay. I plan on using it as a general app machine, not as a phone. It won't be activated.

My question is this--- regarding the GPS-- If I were to purchase one of the map system apps, will the GPS work on this phone like a normal GPS?...... Since I won't have any 3G/4G or voice connection.

Also---- I read a spec that says this thing holds a "mini-SIM". The Ebay ad said nothing about a SIM.

Am I safe in assuming that this mini-SIM (if it even has one) won't be needed just to run it as an app machine? In other words, will the phone power up and run without it, or will I get annoying "insert SIM" messages?

This has no mini Sim slot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones