• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Key Fobs and my Head

So I saw this years ago on Top Gear and today, not wanting to walk back to my car, got curious and put my key fob to my head. It wasn't working from where I was, but when I touched it to my head, it did. The car locked!

Top Gear never got an answer, but it still appleis to key fobs. Does anybody know WHY putting your fob to your head increases its effective range?

Is this answer accurate?
** Definitive **
Name: Colin, Stamford Hill
Qualification: Electronics City and Guilds
Answer: When you put the transmitter against the body, the body acts like an amplifier and amplifies the RF (radio frequency wave) signal towards the car. The fluid in the body transmits the signal as your body acts like an aerial. Like when you made a crystal radio when you were younger and it worked better by the radiator.

From: http://www.lbc.co.uk/why-do-car-key-fobs-work-better-if-theyre-by-your-head-54965

When I think "amplifier", I think of an active circuit that adds gain by adding electrons. Holding a key fob to your body can't do that.

When you hold a key fob to your head, you're doing several things that can improve RF transmission:

1. You're elevating the transmitter/antenna. Radio and TV stations spend big money to put their transmission antennas on top of very tall structures to be able to "see" a larger area of customers. Compared to holding the fob "down low" at your waist, holding it higher accomplishes the same basic effect.
  2. You're giving the antenna a ground plane. Most antennas, especially really tiny ones, rely on tricks like this to make them seem longer than they really are. You can achieve the same effect by holding the fob in your hand and raising your arm. But for reasons unknown it seems to work better when you look silly doing it. :D
  3. Most key fobs transmit in the 300MHz range, with a wavelength of one meter. the quarter wavelength (λ/4) just happens to be roughly the size of an adult male's head. So there may be some resonant coupling going on.

IMO it's mostly #1. :)

Reactions: dibblebill
Upvote 0
  1. You're elevating the transmitter/antenna. Radio and TV stations spend big money to put their transmission antennas on top of very tall structures to be able to "see" a larger area of customers. Compared to holding the fob "down low" at your waist, holding it higher accomplishes the same basic effect.
  2. You're giving the antenna a ground plane. Most antennas, especially really tiny ones, rely on tricks like this to make them seem longer than they really are. You can achieve the same effect by holding the fob in your hand and raising your arm. But for reasons unknown it seems to work better when you look silly doing it. :D
  3. Most key fobs transmit in the 300MHz range, with a wavelength of one meter. the quarter wavelength (λ/4) just happens to be roughly the size of an adult male's head. So there may be some resonant coupling going on.

That all make senses to me.

Given this works for keyfobs, how come it doesn't appear to work for cell phones? Don't 1 and 2 apply there, too?

Maybe even 3, depending on your network the size of your head :)

Upvote 0
That all make senses to me.

Given this works for keyfobs, how come it doesn't appear to work for cell phones? Don't 1 and 2 apply there, too?
I don't know. Cellphones have to work on a wide and increasing range of frequencies, sometimes more than one band at a time. So all bets are off. The patch antennas that are most likely to be used in the current generation of phones have their ground planes built in, so #2 probably doesn't apply. And since the cell site that your phone sees best might be "looking" through a small aperture of foliage, buildings and what-have-you, the ideal place to hold one could be literally anywhere.

With a key fob transmitter, you have a good general idea of where your car's dashboard (where the receiving antenna is hidden) is located. With a cellphone you have no clue where the closest cell site might be concealed. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I know where the nearest cell to home is, I can see it from the bedroom window! It's a micro-cell about 25 yards away
You are lucky!

Back when I had an AT&T (pre-SBC) phone, I was delighted when I learned that AT&T Mobility was building a cell site on top of my apartment building. Although I ultimately had a major cell site about 25 feet away, because it was directly overhead and with highly directional antennas, it put me in a null zone where I got no reception at all! Ironically the cell sites that I had been able to get a signal from had their power in my direction turned way down because of the cell site above me. D'OH!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones