• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keypress sound issue

AdiA

Jun 28, 2022
Volume on keypress adjustment doesn't work. When I try to adjust the slider from default to anywhere between 1-100% volume, it always sounds the same on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Only way I can change the keyboard keypress volume is by changing system volume...

It's not only happening on S22 series, I've had the same issue on all Samsung phones! Samsung says that it's an issue form Google's side, OK and I've asked them what I should do as an user.

When you're looking in Gboard's Preferences menu, toggle that 'Sound on keypress' option off and on again just in case. In the 'Volume on keypress' option, that Default setting is a bit misleading. Tap on Default and it will definitely set Gboard to use the system default volume, so tap on 'OK' instead. That should allow you to adjust the volume slider the way you want.
That's pretty much one of those 'not very intuitive at all' kind of things.

Upvote 0
never had any issues with any of my sammy phones. i have owned the note 7,8 10+, and now the z fold 3. never had any issues with the volume.

Here you go:

is this coming thru the built in speakers or headphones, bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speakers?

what do you mean by keypress adjustments?

Attachments

• 20220313_213458_exported_0.jpg
    20220313_213458_exported_0.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0
When you're looking in Gboard's Preferences menu, toggle that 'Sound on keypress' option off and on again just in case. In the 'Volume on keypress' option, that Default setting is a bit misleading. Tap on Default and it will definitely set Gboard to use the system default volume, so tap on 'OK' instead. That should allow you to adjust the volume slider the way you want.
That's pretty much one of those 'not very intuitive at all' kind of things.
So only way I can adjust Keypress volume is via the system volume tab? I knew that... It's sad that Samsung won't contact Google about that and Google has to even tho you know, Samsung owns this hardware and software, you know.

Attachments

• 20220313_213458~2.mp4
    2 MB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
So only way I can adjust Keypress volume is via the system volume tab? I knew that... It's sad that Samsung won't contact Google about that and Google has to even tho you know, Samsung owns this hardware and software, you know.

OK, so you don't like using the System volume controls and you don't like using the Gboard app volume control. Just what do you want to use to control the volume?
In that mp4 file you posted there was a distinct click sound that corresponded with each percentage you picked, why is that a problem?

Upvote 0
OK, so you don't like using the System volume controls and you don't like using the Gboard app volume control. Just what do you want to use to control the volume?
In that mp4 file you posted there was a distinct click sound that corresponded with each percentage you picked, why is that a problem?

You didn't understand me, I don't want to have to use system volume to adjust the loudness of keypress sound. Watch the video again, you'll see that slider goes from 0 to 100, but wherever I tap it produces the same sound, it's not quieter or louder. That's my issue, I'd like it to be controlled that way but it doesn't work. For example I can't set volume as I want on my SwiftKey keyboard and it works, it doesn't interfere with the system volume only.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
You didn't understand me, I don't want to have to use system volume to adjust the loudness of keypress sound. Watch the video again, you'll see that slider goes from 0 to 100, but wherever I tap it produces the same sound, it's not quieter or louder. That's my issue, I'd like it to be controlled that way but it doesn't work. For example I can't set volume as I want on my SwiftKey keyboard and it works, it doesn't interfere with the system volume only.
OK, so the Gboard app isn't as configurable as you want but the Swiftkey app is more flexible. So instead of using Swiftkey as your default keyboard you're choosing the one that you have a problem with? Is there some feature about Gboard that you can't do without or is its user interface more appealing to you?
At some point it's a matter of resetting your expectations. Some apps have shortcomings and you just need to accept there are compromises involved. There are any number of other keyboard apps available for Android, with a varying array of feature sets and appearance tweaks.

Upvote 0
Omg.. same issue, started long time ago.. I love this addition everywhere : no solution, nobody responsible, (samsung&google) and shame of you, and why do you want it to work? Like a crazy apple forum...
huh? your post is not very clear on the point you are trying to make.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones