• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Kind of lately..

Been just slaughtered with all kinds of spam messages traditional ones like "Hey this is such and such, we will get a new ps5 all we need is your personal info, please sign up here" to "Hello we are here to inform of your car's limited warranty." just so much that I had to block out the numbers, I have don the running back and forth though, so my question is how did they get my cell number? Even though I do have massive blocking from youmail...

Strange for a new phone such as the Moto Edge Plus... Anyone else getting strange spam message lately ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Milo Willamson if I didn't get offers for extended car warranties and "free" Marriott vacations (the only free cheese is in the mousetrap), I wouldn't get any calls!

There is an app that, while not foolproof, cuts down on the calls considerably. Using nomorobo on landlines is free; and $1.99/month for cell phones. It keeps an ever-growing database of spam robocall numbers and if one calls you, it can either reject the call outright or send it to voicemail. Since I often receive legit calls from numbers I've never seen before, I send them to voicemail and then call back.

You'll still get these calls: spammers buy huge blocks of local VOIP numbers and go through them like nothing. By reporting these calls as you get them, you contribute to the database. Everyone helps each other this way and the app gets better & better.

And I can tell from the lousy reviews that people out there either didn't realize a "7 day free trial" means there might be a cost associated with it after the 7 days; or they expect a magical app that just "knows" every scam & spam number out there... which is impossible. Some people need Jitterbugs, I tell ya...

Upvote 0
@Milo Willamson if I didn't get offers for extended car warranties and "free" Marriott vacations (the only free cheese is in the mousetrap), I wouldn't get any calls!

There is an app that, while not foolproof, cuts down on the calls considerably. Using nomorobo on landlines is free; and $1.99/month for cell phones. It keeps an ever-growing database of spam robocall numbers and if one calls you, it can either reject the call outright or send it to voicemail. Since I often receive legit calls from numbers I've never seen before, I send them to voicemail and then call back.

You'll still get these calls: spammers buy huge blocks of local VOIP numbers and go through them like nothing. By reporting these calls as you get them, you contribute to the database. Everyone helps each other this way and the app gets better & better.

And I can tell from the lousy reviews that people out there either didn't realize a "7 day free trial" means there might be a cost associated with it after the 7 days; or they expect a magical app that just "knows" every scam & spam number out there... which is impossible. Some people need Jitterbugs, I tell ya...
Yeah some people are just jitterbugs of getting a Playstation five, gee leave me be alright? :)
I will see, if I have enough money to get another app, feeding the streaming of youtube music... Most of my telephone calls are usually from my family anyways.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones