• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Optimus S $149 w/Actual Unlimited Everthing

TVCCS

Android Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2011
Ran across this earlier today...Voyager Mobile launched in May of this year...and has an unlimited talk/text/data plan for $39 monthly + tax...and unlike almost anything else in the prepaid unlimited realm, doesn't appear to have data caps or throttling listed in their Terms And Conditions (although they don't like tethering). The LG Optimus S is on sale at the moment for $149.00.

LG Optimus S : Smartphones

I'd love to hear if someone who has/gets one of these is able to enable the Hotspot with Quick Settings as was doable with the Optimus S and V.

TOS - General Terms of Service - Voyager Mobile

In the case of the Voyager, this runs on Sprint's 3G network. Voyager also has a number of 4G phones starting at $319.

I should also add that, unlike a lot of prepaid carriers, Voyager charges the usual fee set seen on regular cell bills:

http://www.voyagermobile.com/legal/fees/

Hi TVCCS,

Even better than buying a phone from Voyager Mobile is to go to ebay and purchase a used or new Sprint android phone, with a clean ESN#, and activate it thru voyager. Call or e-mail them first to check which phones can be brought. No Blackberry, no apple, and no Galaxy S4. Most Androids are eligible though.

That same optimus S could be had for a fraction of what Voyager is charging to buy one or you could get a much nicer phone for the same $149. They don't change the software on the device in any way and they don't throttle! Anything you could do with the optimus S on sprint you can do on Voyager. There is one exception. They will not let you roam off of sprint.

I've been very pleased with Voyager. I bought a used HTC EVO 4G LTE from ebay and brought it over to Voyager. No throttling, full LTE, no issues.

To set your expectations: Don't expect to reach a live person out side of normal business hours. During business hours, however, do expect a live person (no phone tree garbage). I have, when using their e-mail support, had success with a quick email response after hours.
When I activated my EVO LTE over the phone with them, data did not activate right away, data only began working once I was in a wifi area (not sure why). The phone did make calls right a way though.

Definitely, loving Voyager. Been with them a few months now. No worries about how many minutes, texts, or data I'm using. No throttling, no weirdness. Its been awesome!

Upvote 0
Looks like they no longer have the Optimus S. Currently the cheapest phone is a LG Optimus Elite for $239.

Even better than buying a phone from Voyager Mobile is to go to ebay and purchase a used or new Sprint android phone, with a clean ESN#, and activate it thru voyager.

That will definitely save you some cash. I have Ting for cell service and many people have bought used Sprint phones instead of new ones to use with Ting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones