• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG V30 calling issues during roaming.

Iforgot80

Lurker
Apr 11, 2023
Hello! Sorry for the rambling ahead of time ...

First and foremost; yes this phone is a bit old due to the ever quick and changing technologies.

Now with that aside and addressed, my wife phone (and mine previously) lost the ability to make "voice" calls during our current travels. My solution from USC was to turn on "enhanced calling", which I was not aware was finally working since I was told a few years back to turn off, so it wouldn't drop calls anymore. Since I did that with my Moto G Stylus, it has been working but not her LG V30

Technical support :)-/) basically told me that it is a paper weight until we enter back in to USC towers and cannot be used during roaming. Not sure if this is SOP with customers with older phones but hoping someone here has the fix to make my wife happy.. Her texting and mobile data was working previously but now, nothing...

Enhanced calling is disabled in the settings on her phone.

•mobile data "on"
•data saver "off"
•date roaming "on"
•LTE/GSM/UMTS "ON"
•LTE/LEGACY 3GPP MULTI "SELECTED"
•attempted automatic registration in network operators (switches to roaming but drops calls as network unavailable
•enhanced calling inactive (ia told this is due to roaming but why is it working on my phone?
•apn- usccinternet
• Network or SIM card error when entering other settings in additional settings
•tried airplane mode, restart, shutdown 3 mins and turn on
• latest update installed (09/2019)-Android 9

Any other additional information needed?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Hello! Sorry for the rambling ahead of time ...

First and foremost; yes this phone is a bit old due to the ever quick and changing technologies.

Now with that aside and addressed, my wife phone (and mine previously) lost the ability to make "voice" calls during our current travels. My solution from USC was to turn on "enhanced calling", which I was not aware was finally working since I was told a few years back to turn off, so it wouldn't drop calls anymore. Since I did that with my Moto G Stylus, it has been working but not her LG V30

Technical support :)-/) basically told me that it is a paper weight until we enter back in to USC towers and cannot be used during roaming. Not sure if this is SOP with customers with older phones but hoping someone here has the fix to make my wife happy.. Her texting and mobile data was working previously but now, nothing...

Enhanced calling is disabled in the settings on her phone.

•mobile data "on"
•data saver "off"
•date roaming "on"
•LTE/GSM/UMTS "ON"
•LTE/LEGACY 3GPP MULTI "SELECTED"
•attempted automatic registration in network operators (switches to roaming but drops calls as network unavailable
•enhanced calling inactive (ia told this is due to roaming but why is it working on my phone?
•apn- usccinternet
• Network or SIM card error when entering other settings in additional settings
•tried airplane mode, restart, shutdown 3 mins and turn on
• latest update installed (09/2019)-Android 9

Any other additional information needed?

Thank you so much in advance!!
"USC" meaning US Cellular?

Which country and carrier are you trying to roam with? It could be the US version LTE of your V30 is incompatible with the overseas carrier network you're trying to use. If so, your phone basically is a paperweight until you get back to US Cellular.

Upvote 0
I just looked up: what US Cellular call "advanced calling" seems to be VoLTE-based (b****y brand-specific marketing terms waste everyone's time...).

The key question is where are you trying to roam? From the specs I've found for the USC V30 it should work fine in much of the world - in fact the US has been turning-off 2G and 3G faster than most countries, and it seems to cover the main bands for both of those, as well as for example 4 of the 9 LTE bands used in the UK (which isn't brilliant but you should be able to find something). But if you are unlucky you may be somewhere without 2G/3G and with different LTE bands: the G Stylus does seem to cover more LTE bands than the USC V30, so that could happen.

Upvote 0
"USC" meaning US Cellular?

Which country and carrier are you trying to roam with? It could be the US version LTE of your V30 is incompatible with the overseas carrier network you're trying to use. If so, your phone basically is a paperweight until you get back to US Cellular.
I'm living and vacationing within the Continental United States. Yes, US Cellular.

Thanks

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I just looked up: what US Cellular call "advanced calling" seems to be VoLTE-based (b****y brand-specific marketing terms waste everyone's time...).

The key question is where are you trying to roam? From the specs I've found for the USC V30 it should work fine in much of the world - in fact the US has been turning-off 2G and 3G faster than most countries, and it seems to cover the main bands for both of those, as well as for example 4 of the 9 LTE bands used in the UK (which isn't brilliant but you should be able to find something). But if you are unlucky you may be somewhere without 2G/3G and with different LTE bands: the G Stylus does seem to cover more LTE bands than the USC V30, so that could happen.
Thanks for the information. The phone hasn't worked driving from Tennessee, all the way into the keys

Upvote 0
I'm living and vacationing within the Continental United States. Yes, US Cellular.

Thanks

So US Cellular is a regional rather than a national carrier? That's something I'm not familiar with. Maybe someone else on AF can assist? @kate

I've only roamed phones internationally, including roaming a UK phone(Vodafone) in the US and Canada, and roaming Chinese phones(China Unicom) in the UK Ireland, Russia, and Mongolia. And never had any problems.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. The phone hasn't worked driving from Tennessee, all the way into the keys
So according to Wikipedia you should have roaming agreements with ATT, T-Mobile and VZW. Your phone should support some of the bands used by those networks (e.g. band 2 and the 4/66 AWS pair), but I don't know what bands are deployed in what regions (simple things like FCC coverage maps don't go into such detail) so you might just be unlucky in where you are (or it may be that something else is wrong, perhaps with the way USC set something up. Can't really know).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones