• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Like This ..

It means you pretty much have no limitations to writing to your device by means of modifications.

For example, if using busybox, you can now write your images directly to your partitions without use of any zips or by way of fastboot.

And example would be to place your recovery.img on to your sdcard then using either cat or dd via terminal emulator which you can download from the play store. I will provide an example of both:

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Code:
cat /sdcard/recovery.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

By reversing the above commands you can dump your recovery.img or any other images you may require for that matter. In this case mmcblk0p21 would be the recovery partition.

To determine your partitions just type and enter:

Code:
cat /proc/emmc

Being S-Off opens the doorway to many possibilities and it also makes certain modifications much easier without the need of having a computer.

Edit: Grabbed this from a post I made over on XDA a while back.

HTC has been securing their phones by locking the internal flash memory (NAND or eMMC)(eMMC in our case) to stop it from being written to, unless the file being flashed is signed by a private key only known to HTC. This is controlled by a flag (@ secuflag) and is identified as the device being S-ON. Telling the HBoot the device is Security Off (S-OFF) stops this check for the key, and allows us to write anything to any partition, which is what we are aiming for.

There are actually two levels of S-OFF. The Bootloader (HBoot) and the Radio. Getting S-Off on the HBoot gives us everything we need, but doesn't actually turn off the @ secuflag which is set in the radio - instead, the HBoot ignores it and therefore thinks it is S-Off, but this is not TRUE S-Off. It is possible to flash a HBoot that believes the Radio is set to S-OFF, as the HBoot is responsible for setting that flag.

Once the HBoot on the phone is S-OFF, we can write to all the partitions and basically do whatever we want, but it is possible to go one step further. Flashing a radio that is S-OFF and actually setting the @ secuflag to S-off gives us 100% total access to every part of the phone and it's software, as it becomes network unlocked allowing you to use any SIM and also allows you to flash a ROM from any carrier (known as Super CID). It also makes it practically impossible to permanently loose root no matter what you flash. Once you have radio S-OFF, it makes it much easier to flash new HBoots and ROMs even if you flash something that is locked down tight.

Setting the Radio to S-Off is not necessary, and gaining S-OFF on the HBoot is more than most people will ever need. Radio S-Off is just the last step of the puzzle, but it is worth noting that you can permanently brick your phone if flashing a radio or a HBoot, if either of these go wrong you will end up with a shiny expensive paper weight so there is risk involved.

Upvote 0
It means you pretty much have no limitations to writing to your device by means of modifications.

For example, if using busybox, you can now write your images directly to your partitions without use of any zips or by way of fastboot.

And example would be to place your recovery.img on to your sdcard then using either cat or dd via terminal emulator which you can download from the play store. I will provide an example of both:

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Code:
cat /sdcard/recovery.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

By reversing the above commands you can dump your recovery.img or any other images you may require for that matter. In this case mmcblk0p21 would be the recovery partition.

To determine your partitions just type and enter:

Code:
cat /proc/emmc

Being S-Off opens the doorway to many possibilities and it also makes certain modifications much easier without the need of having a computer.
But can you givve me directions on how to get s-off?

Edit: Grabbed this from a post I made over on XDA a while back.

HTC has been securing their phones by locking the internal flash memory (NAND or eMMC)(eMMC in our case) to stop it from being written to, unless the file being flashed is signed by a private key only known to HTC. This is controlled by a flag (@ secuflag) and is identified as the device being S-ON. Telling the HBoot the device is Security Off (S-OFF) stops this check for the key, and allows us to write anything to any partition, which is what we are aiming for.

There are actually two levels of S-OFF. The Bootloader (HBoot) and the Radio. Getting S-Off on the HBoot gives us everything we need, but doesn't actually turn off the @ secuflag which is set in the radio - instead, the HBoot ignores it and therefore thinks it is S-Off, but this is not TRUE S-Off. It is possible to flash a HBoot that believes the Radio is set to S-OFF, as the HBoot is responsible for setting that flag.

Once the HBoot on the phone is S-OFF, we can write to all the partitions and basically do whatever we want, but it is possible to go one step further. Flashing a radio that is S-OFF and actually setting the @ secuflag to S-off gives us 100% total access to every part of the phone and it's software, as it becomes network unlocked allowing you to use any SIM and also allows you to flash a ROM from any carrier (known as Super CID). It also makes it practically impossible to permanently loose root no matter what you flash. Once you have radio S-OFF, it makes it much easier to flash new HBoots and ROMs even if you flash something that is locked down tight.

Setting the Radio to S-Off is not necessary, and gaining S-OFF on the HBoot is more than most people will ever need. Radio S-Off is just the last step of the puzzle, but it is worth noting that you can permanently brick your phone if flashing a radio or a HBoot, if either of these go wrong you will end up with a shiny expensive paper weight so there is risk involved.
Security off, Im pretty sure you can use on a gsm network now and go to different carriers easier
Does anyone have the know how to do this or at least point me in the right direction? I have flashed to straight talk and lost my data again and I tried to use the ST app on the play store and it tells me to insert sim and rerun app so I know if it dont need a sim and is unlocked it shouldnt give me that error right? Any advice or pointers will be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones