• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking at phone memory

Bytheseaside

Nov 21, 2012
If I plug my S3 Mini into my computer, I get a display showing Card Memory & Phone Memory. The Phone Memory shows 331MB free out of 4.45GB! However, if I open the Phone Memory I get a list of folders & if I add up the stated storage in each of those folders I only get to a couple of dozen MB. Where have all the GB gone?

Further discoveries: If I look at Files on my phone it says I have no pictures in DCIM in SD card0. On the other hand, if I look at DCIM in Android Assistant it tells me I have 3.28GB of files - 72% of my phone memory. Closer analysis shows that these include 3.24GB of Thumbnails! If all my pictures are on my external SD card, why are all these thumbnails clogging my phone memory? Is there any way to get rid of them?

Help please.

John

Upvote 0
Thank you. Did that. Deleted over 3GB thumbnails - they have gone from the list. However, I only seem to have gained 200MB space! Though list of files in the internal memory in Android Assistant now comes to less than about 1.5GB, the display is still showing 4.1GB used out of 4.55GB.Where has the other 2.5GB gone? I've done a restart - didn't help. Why didn't deleting 3GB of stuff make more space?

Upvote 0
Thank you. Did that. Deleted over 3GB thumbnails - they have gone from the list. However, I only seem to have gained 200MB space! Though list of files in the internal memory in Android Assistant now comes to less than about 1.5GB, the display is still showing 4.1GB used out of 4.55GB.Where has the other 2.5GB gone? I've done a restart - didn't help. Why didn't deleting 3GB of stuff make more space?

If you are using es file explorer to delete files, make sure recycle bin is turned off in left panel. Otherwise the deleted items stay in phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones