• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make Voice Command Call Without Connecting to the Internet

Sa21

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Just moved from windows phone 8.1 to Android 10 (Samsung A21 phone). We only have talk and text (no data plan). With the windows phone, I can use voice command to make calls without the need to enable data. When I say "call Bob", the phone will automatically dial Bob's number 800-800-0000.

In Android 10, I can launch Google and say "call 800-800-0000 and Google will dial that number (no need to connect to the internet). However, with the command "call Bob", Google will ask for access to the internet. Is there a fix to this problem? Is there another app that I can use that will access CONTACT and dial out without the need to connect to the internet?

TIA,
F

Hello. Thanks for your input. According to the article...some of the old voice commands like "call" and "send text to" still work as they always have. I can call out if I specify the numbers, but Google will not allow specify a name in the contacts.

TIA,
F
yeah i missed that one sentence.....lol

so i just turned everything off save for cellular and had google assistant "call mom" and it called her with no problem.....so i'm not sure what is going on with your phone.

maybe try the phone in safe mode and see if the issue is still there. safe mode prevents and 3rd party apps from running. if it still persists then it has to do with a software issue. and then maybe a factory reset is in order.

one last thought maybe look into your google assistant settings google home app>select avatar in upper right corner>select assistant settings>and see if there is something there that might help. i already briefly looked and found nothing. maybe with a closer inspection, you might find something.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I noticed that multiple instances of Google play services are running in the background, consuming battery. Was hoping there might be a simple 3rd party app that will permit the user to use voice command to dial out. This will allow me to disable Google and Google Play Services.

I don't use voice command that often. Speed dial may be a better option to add a little more battery time between charge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones