• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Many Apps SUPER Slow after ICS Install; Help!?

beenr271

Apr 20, 2011
I installed ICS on my Thunderbolt yesterday. As soon as the install finished, I did a hard reboot as I always do after firmware updates, and every so often I do a hard reboot as well.

Once I started using my phone, I noticed that many apps are super slow now. When I click my Messages (Txts), FaceBook, and some other apps, it will go to a BLACK screen for approximately 8 seconds before opening up the app. 8 seconds doesn't seem like a long time, but I'm used to clicking the icon and the app immediately opening. 8 seconds looking at a black screen is not desirable. :(

Note that I haven't added any new apps.. everything is the same as when I had the last firmware, so it's not like anything changed. It was running super fast prior to the ICS install yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else have this issue and able to fix??

Thanks!

My Plume and APW Facebook widgets are working really slow. Had another interesting problem when trying to call home using a contacts shortcut folder. Press my home contact, nothing, thought maybe it didn't catch it, pressed again, nothing. Pressed HARDER (yeah, I know LOL), hit another contact number. Got frustrated and open the phone app and selected my home number from the recently called list. Finally went through. About 30secs into talking with my wife, my phone put the current call on hold and called my home again. Disconnected both. Called wife back and hung up. Started down the road and got to a light, decided to check my voicemail. As soon as I hit the voicemail number, my phone called home again, then called the other number I hit, then called home again, then voicemail. My TB almost became a spot on the road. Hard reset and hopefully things will calm down.

Reactions: mmatessa
Upvote 0
For those experiencing sluggishness since the update, a factory reset should help. Also, if you will be patient and give it a day to "settle in" it will get snappy again. I have a Bionic and that was the case with my ICS update (my daughter has a TB, that's why I'm in here.) I eventually did a Factory Reset, but that was because I just wanted to start over, but after a day things were very smooth and snappy. I updated my daughter's phone yesterday and she thinks its already smoother and snappier, but I could still see some sluggishness on the phone.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
Had another interesting problem when trying to call home using a contacts shortcut folder. Press my home contact, nothing, thought maybe it didn't catch it, pressed again, nothing. Pressed HARDER (yeah, I know LOL), hit another contact number. Got frustrated and open the phone app and selected my home number from the recently called list. Finally went through. About 30secs into talking with my wife, my phone put the current call on hold and called my home again. Disconnected both. Called wife back and hung up. Started down the road and got to a light, decided to check my voicemail. As soon as I hit the voicemail number, my phone called home again, then called the other number I hit, then called home again, then voicemail. My TB almost became a spot on the road. Hard reset and hopefully things will calm down.

I did a cache wipe then a factory reset on my HTC Thunderbolt. Neither helped and I'm still having the minute-long dialing lag described above.

Upvote 0
I had the dialing lag after the OS update. I did a factory reset and reloaded all my apps from the app store. Nothing was kept from backup files. This fixed my lag issue and though the phone isn't as snappy as the day I got it, it is usable now while right after the update it wasn't.

It is inconvenient to do a factory reset because I lost all my files and had to repeat all my customization but at least the phone is usable now.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, IMHO, you can't. For some unknown reason, some phones were hit harder than others. I did a factory reset on my Tbolt also. It improved a little for a few days then got slower & slower again. After speaking to HTC & Verizon support, there is no fix.(except maybe to root) The Tbolt's hardware cannot handle the version of ICS that was sent out. Sorry.
PS: I switched to an HTC Droid DNA and I'm happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones