• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Maximum OTG Drive Size

The 32GB drive is FAT32 and the 64GB drive must be reformatted to FAT32 in order to work in the Droid Turbo or Droid Maxx (the only two I tested).

Since you can not reformat to FAT32 on Windows 7 you must use a third party program. Three are identified by SanDisk ...
  • HP USB Disk Format
  • miniAide FAT32 Formatter
  • Tware Fat32 Format
After a reformat using HP USB Disk Format or miniAide FAT32 Formatter the drive is not recognized in either phone.

After a reformat using 2Tware Fat32 Format the drive is recognized by both phones.

So ... the solution is to reformat to FAT32 using 2Tware Fat32 Format.

... Thom

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I had no problem with a 64GB stick that was preformatted to FAT32 connected with a Motorola OTG cable. The only problem I had was with the SanDisk Dual USB Drive. It is preformatted exFAT and is not readable by the Turbo or Maxx. Two of the three third-party formatting programs I tried did not solve the problem.

This was all news to SanDisk Technical Support also. (I really like having O-N-E 64GB memory stick in my pocket that can be plugged directly into a PC or Android phone.)

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones