• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS PSA: CDMA Network Shutdown Info

Gman9831

I'm no Senior
Aug 4, 2011
They're starting to shutdown the CDMA network. The 1st 2 markets will be New England and Las Vegas. Both of the entire market's CDMA network will be shutdown July 1st, 2014. http://www.tmonews.com/2014/04/metr...-down-in-new-england-and-las-vegas-on-july-1/

Metro has started a trade in and upgrade program: MetroPCS Trade In Link

This is a list of the shutdown dates that will be updated as new information comes along:
New England and Las Vegas: 7/1/14
Philadelphia: 9/30/2014

*It seems there will be no free in market roaming like initially thought so if you're in those 2 markets your CDMA phone will lose service 7/1/14. It seems it will be roaming on TravelTalk in these areas which is free texts and 19 cents a minute phone calls

It never ceases to amaze me by your knowledge. Thank you for the good info you provide to us Metro users.

But where's the links?

Edit: LOL! DirtyDee and Avera6 and I were writing at the (almost) same time!

I had heard something about this just a couple days ago but I didn't want to say anything till it was certain and official but I thought they would of announced it on May 1st at the 1st quarter report instead

Upvote 0
Wish they would have said something about it earlier. Just bought the S5 now I'm stuck with a useless S3

Looks like you can reactivate a CDMA MetroPCS phone and then get credit if you want.

If I have deactivated my phone, can I reactivate it and then apply for the credit?
We are allowing reactivation of older model phones only through May 12, 2014. Following May 13, older model phones will not be sold or reactivated in the affected areas.

Upvote 0
Yeah or just ring a Ril patch for it and maybe use on another carrier and sell . or just keep as a classic and place in a don't touch case while it lay at reset

It's not a GSM phone, so it's only chance of ever being used again is MAYBE on a Sprint MVNO, and that's with some QPST work I can't talk about here, plus purchasing a junk Sprint phone. Plus, even if it was certain to work you'd make more with a trade in.

Upvote 0
i just went to the metropcs store to upgrade my hubby's cell phone and i was "hit" with the news that the my cell phone and cell phone i bought would stop working in december. i told them "i hope you have good deals on phones, because your phones are expensive and now you come with this news. and i find out about this because i came here today, if not i wouldn't know anything. good job metropcs" he just looked at me like i was crazy. well, it isn't my fault that they made the merger and now we have to pay extra for not having a contract.

Upvote 0
i just went to the metropcs store to upgrade my hubby's cell phone and i was "hit" with the news that the my cell phone and cell phone i bought would stop working in december. i told them "i hope you have good deals on phones, because your phones are expensive and now you come with this news. and i find out about this because i came here today, if not i wouldn't know anything. good job metropcs" he just looked at me like i was crazy. well, it isn't my fault that they made the merger and now we have to pay extra for not having a contract.
Hello welcome to the Forums, sorry to hear that metro still isn't handling the merger for everyone well. So what phones are you upgrading from, anything in particular you are looking for? What is your price range as well. We can try to make the translation as smooth as silk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones