• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto G first generation camera app

Hi Danny,
Thanks for replying. I found the list of versions here https://google-camera.en.uptodown.com/android/versions ;but don't know which of the later versions will work on my phone, without trying them:eek:.
I searched Google Play for "Moto G 1st generation camera app" and got several hits, but am not sure which might work. Any thoughts?
..... john

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hit and miss, yes, I was afraid of that.
I have tried the Motocamera+ app, which has many options, but most of them are grayed out; and, it didn't seem to have any effect. The Google app does seem to produce better images, and is very accessible. I don't know of any others. Are there any you've heard are good?
.... john

Upvote 0
So there isn't any mystery to what camera apps will or won't work with your Moto G, you just need to put in the effort to look for it.
First, I'm going to suggest you look at the Open Camera app as a viable replacement for your current camera app. Open Camera is open source (no ties to any business interests), it's free with no ads, and most importantly is very, very user configurable with a large feature set. Be sure to go into the app's Settings menu the first time you use and to set it up to your personal preferences..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_US&gl=US

Regarding other apps in the Play Store, there are plenty of other really good camera apps to choose from. The screen captures in every app page will give you an impression of each app's 'look and feel'. But getting back to what apps will still work with your very dated Moto G phone. in each app page there's also an About This App section. Tap on the arrow icon next to it to expand it. You'll initially see a Description but scroll down to get to the app's Info. In the Info section will be things like the current app version, the last date it was posted, and a lot more including the part you need to be especially aware of, which versions of Android the app supports. In your instance, the Open Camera app goes back to Android version 4.0.3 and just guessing but your Moto G is running Lollipop (version 5.x)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones