• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto X is here.

I got the Moto X, so far so good. Great value - even though I was on SERO (Sprint Employee...) before!

Just as a warning, the white Moto Xs are shipping in 1-2 weeks now as demand has been huge.

If you need a referral link to save $19 off your first month of service - I'll get $19 as well PM me :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I've wondered the same- everyone points out that the custom ROM won't let you activate the X on another carrier but what if you flash a new custom ROM on top? Is that a one-way street or would RW let you come back if you wanted? No one seems to have an answer for this. I need to contact their help office tomorrow.

Upvote 0
The model is different. Republic Wireless sells the XT1049, while Sprint sells the XT1056, the largest difference being the RW version only has CDMA radios, while the Sprint model has GSM radios as well as CDMA. In fact, Republic Wireless and US Cellular are the two companies selling CDMA only Moto X's (and hence not available via Moto Maker).

Technically, with the right knowledge, it would be possible to migrate the phone to Sprint or Verizon... but I'm 99% certain it'd involve doing things that are still illegal... whether it be using copyrighted code, or modifying the phone's identity.

As for going back to RW after messing with the ROM. That would be questionable. Sometime soon, RW says they will allow re-activations. But, you'd almost certainly have to have the original RW ROM back on the phone to make it work.

Upvote 0
It does have an LTE radio for accessing Sprint's 4G LTE network.

There has been some discussion on if the GSM radio is just disabled in firmware or not, but as of yet, I haven't seen a teardown of a RW phone to confirm.

Personally, I think there are now just 3 models. 16GB CDMA only (physically missing GSM radio - making it cheaper), 16GB pentaband (with certain radios disabled via firmware), and 32GB pentaband (same). That keeps the manufacturing costs down and simplified.

But I don't have a definitive info yet on if I'm right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones