• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Movies won't plane on airplane

I'm using the wifi on the plane to watch the movies they offer, I just can't get them to play

So the phone is definitely connected to the aircraft WiFi? What's actually happening? Is there an error? Do you have to install and use the airline's own IFE app?

Which airline is it, because somebody else may know and have a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So the phone is definitely connected to the aircraft WiFi? What's actually happening? Is there an error? Do you have to install and use the airline's own IFE app?

Which airline is it, because somebody else may know and have a solution.
I was on a Alaska and United flight had the same problem on both. My last tablet worked just fine it was also a Tab S6 I had to replace because I cracked the screen.

Upvote 0
yeah but you can't if you are in airplane mode. turn off airplane mode and turn on wifi.....connect to the plane's wifi and you should be good to go.
Actually not true, the way he is describing is how you are meant to do it. Otherwise it would spend the entire flight still trying to connect to mobile network, as well as bluetooth. Try it now, toggle on airplane mode, then turn wifi on, you connect and use only wifi, no mobile network connectivity or bluetooth.
That's a thought, I've looked at all the setting and nothing popped up but I could have missed something thing, I having the same problem with the Note 20

What device were you using, another S6 tab? Did you try through their app and/or the browser? Worth trying chrome, trying incognito mode, etc.

What airline?

Upvote 0
Actually not true, the way he is describing is how you are meant to do it. Otherwise it would spend the entire flight still trying to connect to mobile network, as well as bluetooth. Try it now, toggle on airplane mode, then turn wifi on, you connect and use only wifi, no mobile network connectivity or bluetooth.

What device were you using, another S6 tab? Did you try through their app and/or the browser? Worth trying chrome, trying incognito mode, etc.

What airline?
that's why i love AF, you always will learn something. i had no idea

Upvote 0
that's why i love AF, you always will learn something. i had no idea

Yes.
When you first engage Airplane mode, all radios on the device will be turned off.

But, you can then turn each one on individually, and it will work just fine.

Wi-Fi and bluetooth can be used in this way, while the cellular radio will still be off.

Upvote 0
I was trying to watch movies in airplane mode connected to the flights wifi on 2 flights and couldn't get the movies to play, any thoughts
Thanks
I've experienced the same on 6 flights over the last 3 months (4 on United, 2 on Southwest) with my Samsung Galaxy S22+. The streaming movies and shows included with the free entertainment via WiFi on the planes won't play. I follow what the airlines tell you to do: put your phone in airplane mode and turn on/connect to WiFi. But once I successfully connect to the Wifi, only live TV will play, not any of of the streaming content. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
I've experienced the same on 6 flights over the last 3 months (4 on United, 2 on Southwest) with my Samsung Galaxy S22+. The streaming movies and shows included with the free entertainment via WiFi on the planes won't play. I follow what the airlines tell you to do: put your phone in airplane mode and turn on/connect to WiFi. But once I successfully connect to the Wifi, only live TV will play, not any of of the streaming content. What am I doing wrong?
Dont you have to use their app? If you were and it still didn't work, you'd have to contact support for the app, which I would believe is wacky. I've not got it to work wither, though I didnt try long my last flight

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones